300L can i have any Geophagus?

GS1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
England
HI this 300L/80g (4ftx29"x17") is the biggest tank i can fit in the space i have.

Current stocking is...

Red Spotted Severum pair (they breed but always sterile so little aggression, they spend most of their time cleaning rocks)
6 x Boesmani Rainbows
8 x Tiger Barbs
1 x Electric Blue Acara
1 x Firemouth
1 x Bristlenose plec

i'm interested in adding the following fish...

3 x some sort of peaceful Geophagus
1 x green phantom plec
some clown loaches
maybe a rainbow cichlid (i know i probably can't have all but thats just the fish i'm interested in)

Decor is a few pebbles, black sand and some twisted roots

If no more cichlids i'm open to adding some red rainbows to go with my Boesmans

Last edited:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Your tank is full of fish already at 80USgallons. Get a 680L or larger tank if you want more fish.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
There are some smaller geos you could add to the severum pair if you wanted to remove some of what you have. But, yes, as currently stocked I wouldn't add, except possibly the green phantom pleco, depending on water parameters, filtration, hiding spots, etc.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have to ask: is the tank 4 ft long and 29" wide? Or is it 17" wide and 29" tall? In either case if those measurements are accurate i believe your tank is closer to 100 gallons than 80. Of course with substrate and decor it is probably around 80 gallons water volume.

What im getting at is if your tank is 48"x29" wide, well thats a pretty large footprint all things considered, and if you were to boost your water volume considerably, perhaps by adding a 75 gallon or larger sump to your setup, i dont see why you couldnt maintain a group of the smaller geos in your tank.

But as it is, no. Your bioload is pushing it as it is for 80 gallons. And if your tank is 17" wide instead of 29", then i think its probably too small for geos.

GS1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
England
I think i'll leave anymore cichlids and maybe add a couple more Rainbowfish.

Could i get a group of 3 Clown Loaches in there?

Could i fit a Pearl Gourami with them?

The tank is 29" tall and 17" wide.

So full stocking would be

Severum Pair
6 x Boesmani Rainbows
3 x Red Rainbows
8 x Tiger Barbs
1 x Electric Blue Acara
1 x Firemouth
1 x Pearl Gourami
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Bristlenose plec

Or is that still to much? i'm open to getting rid of the Firemouth but i'd prefer to keep him

Would a Rainbow Shark or a smaller type of loach be better? i like the way Clown Loaches look, but i like their behaviour the most

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would not recommend clown loaches for your tank. They thrive in specially designed tanks for their needs in groups of 6+. They like lots of flow and warm water. They would outgrow your tank but take a while to do so.

I would not add more fish to your tank if it were mine, but instead focus on the growth and prosperity of the current inhabitants. The tank is fully stocked imo.

Reactions: GS1981
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store