30g stocking?

BenParkDaStingrayLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2018
hello, im looking for stocking suggestions of a saltwater tank, the size of the tank is going to be a 30g, breeder. im thinking about getting some species of octopus or frogfish. is there any saltwater predator fish i can stock the 30 breeder with? also can octopuses or frogfish have any tankmates?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Personally have experience with both the Octopus will only live for less than a year especially small species. Octopus are extremely intelligent so don't be fooled by their look. The smallest gap will become an escape exit. Fed live fiddler crab and whole market shrimp from wooden skewer.

The Angler fish aka frog fish was kept with larger tankmates at the time and was fed live goldfish but during those years didn't know that over feeding could result in premature death until reading something on the frog fish last year. A 30 gallon is too small for either due to both species bioload. Btw there are a freshwater specie of angler fish available just in case you didn't know that.

BenParkDaStingrayLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2018
Personally have experience with both the Octopus will only live for less than a year especially small species. Octopus are extremely intelligent so don't be fooled by their look. The smallest gap will become an escape exit. Fed live fiddler crab and whole market shrimp from wooden skewer.

The Angler fish aka frog fish was kept with larger tankmates at the time and was fed live goldfish but during those years didn't know that over feeding could result in premature death until reading something on the frog fish last year. A 30 gallon is too small for either due to both species bioload. Btw there are a freshwater specie of angler fish available just in case you didn't know that.
oh thanks. would the bioload of the dwarf cuttlefish be too big for a 30 breeder tank? i was just looking into them. I know what the freshwater angler is, but i beleive they are extremely rare.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
oh thanks. would the bioload of the dwarf cuttlefish be too big for a 30 breeder tank? i was just looking into them. I know what the freshwater angler is, but i beleive they are extremely rare.

Tbh I don't have any experience with cuttlefish but would think same care as it's cephalopod cousin the Octopus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store