32" pacu, 2 x 31" pangasius and 2 x 44" niger catfish need a home

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
the ease several of you guys deride this guy's situation is nothing sort of strange.

There is a word for it in german: "schadenfreude".

This guy had a huge, worthy thing going on, and arguably was misinformed about the cost involved. At the very least, it is a true pity, to close down such an awe inspiring tank.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
the ease several of you guys deride this guy's situation is nothing sort of strange.

There is a word for it in german: "schadenfreude".

This guy had a huge, worthy thing going on, and arguably was misinformed about the cost involved. At the very least, it is a true pity, to close down such an awe inspiring tank.

My point exactly. I guess people are assuming this guy had all these fish in a 180 and that he was going around collecting fish irresponsibly or something. Fact is he setup an amazing tank, had it running for a long time, then came to find out someone at the power company made a drastic calculating error.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Does he still have any of his FRTs? I will buy 2 of them if he does let me know.
From what I read those went almost instantly. Same with his rays. What the OP posted is what is left to re home. Also being that he is in the UK I don't think you would be getting them shipped here.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I'm well informed of his story. Same story as most of us, only on a much larger scale, too many fish too little money. I didn't realize it was due to a "miscalculation" by the power company, and if that's the case, I can then sympathize a bit more as it wasn't his mistake.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
From what I read those went almost instantly. Same with his rays. What the OP posted is what is left to re home. Also being that he is in the UK I don't think you would be getting them shipped here.
Thanks.
Wish him the best of luck with the rest. I'm on my phone at work so did not have time to see what he had left.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
This should be a reality check for all the pipedreamers with grand "plans to upgrade." The cost to run huge tanks like Jack's is astronomical.

"I think the volume of Jack's current tank is also putting off many private individuals from coming forward, although the fish would be fine in half of that 6' water depth if enough swimming length and width were provided. "
They should edit the article published on 1/31/2014 that says, "One vital stipulation is that any prospective tank needs to be as large as, or larger, than the fish’s current home, and smaller set-ups will not be considered." They are basically eliminating any private party since Jack's is the largest known private tank in the UK.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6236

The predicament he's in is one of the reasons I choose not to buy fish that grow over 14". If for whatever reason I had to tear my tank down, I would hate to have to choose between giving my fish to someone with an undersized tank, or putting the fish down.

"And in an ideal world, once stripped down, experts from leading pond and aquatic companies could even advise Jack on making the tank much more energy efficient and who knows, his fortunes could change in the future, making the tank once again financially viable."

"Seriously reducing that £6000 a year electricity bill through more efficient pumps, heating and lighting could be quite the publicity coop for the right equipment company."
He should be able to run a much more efficient system. Especially if he just keeps the remaining fish, he can get away with running 300 watt pumps versus the 1,000 watt pumps he's currently using. Heating is probably his biggest expense. Not sure what the cost of gas is over there, but changing over to gas heat from his 6,000W electric heaters (while expensive up front) may save him a lot over the long term.

Bummer to see this. If my electric rates doubled, I would almost surely tear my tank down too.

I hope he's able to find suitable homes for these giants.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I agree regarding the comment about no tanks smaller, it's slightly contradictory as a comment is made in one of the articles saying all the public aquariums are full yet don't make contact if your tank is smaller, therefore ruling out private aquariums, consequently leaving zero target audience?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store