3M 5200 fast cure fish safe?

h2so4hurts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2017
North Carolina USA
Hey all, I've seen a bunch of builds with 5200 and everyone says the regular version is fish safe after the cure, a week. I had a leak in my plywood build around the window and fixed it with 5200 fast cure which cures in 24hr. Has anyone used fast cure and put their fish back in after the cure? I think I'm just going to play it safe and give it a week to gas out, thoughts?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Hey all, I've seen a bunch of builds with 5200 and everyone says the regular version is fish safe after the cure, a week. I had a leak in my plywood build around the window and fixed it with 5200 fast cure which cures in 24hr. Has anyone used fast cure and put their fish back in after the cure? I think I'm just going to play it safe and give it a week to gas out, thoughts?
Good to see another member from NC.
I have no personal first hand knowledge of the 5200, so I can’t help you there.
If you plan to wait anyway, I would use some of the more established and regularly used products.
I like GE1 for tanks 75 and small and for larger tanks I like to use Momentive RTV108

h2so4hurts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2017
North Carolina USA
"Not recommended for polycarbonate or acrylic" - I've actually decided to take this tank down and redo it in acrylic. An expensive decision for sure but I just have no confidence in the seal the way I implemented it. Seems like there are two ways to get an acrylic window into a plywood tank. 1) make a really thick window frame, minimum 4" of overlap with the sealing surface and rely on water pressure to maintain the seal 2) prime the Acrylic with an epoxy (looks like thixo lv would be a good option) and seal the window in with a marine adhesive or silicone.

I think the best option in a plywood build is probably to just use glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store