400 gal indoor pond stocking idea?

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
currently I’ve got 1 longnose gar 28” and 1 Florida gar 18”. And I am wondering what type of fish I could put with these guys. Has to be non or semi aggressive. Preferably one that would be easy to train on pellets. Thinking maybe a silver Aro? Pond is 69” x 63” x 24”

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I am not too sure about arowana with gar. I will let someone else comment on that. I seem to see pictures of it plenty, but I don't know how well it is going. As with all of my recommendations pick and choose here. They won't all work together. Thinking of things that stay on the bottom there are lots of cool catfish. Almost anything in the doradidae family would work. Large plecos are always cool. A school of pictus might be fun. Or for medium size catfish I still like the burmese sun catfish. I have always loved a good shovelnose catfish like limas. That kind of fits with the shape of your fish. I could keep a big cat it would be a giraffe catfish.

I would think a school of large clown loaches would be left alone. Silver dollars would provide some action and should be fast enough to avoid getting eaten. Really large single tail goldfish would probably be fine. Large eels like fire/zig zag/ tire track would probably be left alone. I would think large gouramis like pink kissers would be fine in there. I always liked seeing them in ponds. Clown knife fish would work in there.

Another route to go is stick with the us native theme and do some cool centrarchids and native catfish.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I am not too sure about arowana with gar. I will let someone else comment on that. I seem to see pictures of it plenty, but I don't know how well it is going. As with all of my recommendations pick and choose here. They won't all work together. Thinking of things that stay on the bottom there are lots of cool catfish. Almost anything in the doradidae family would work. Large plecos are always cool. A school of pictus might be fun. Or for medium size catfish I still like the burmese sun catfish. I have always loved a good shovelnose catfish like limas. That kind of fits with the shape of your fish. I could keep a big cat it would be a giraffe catfish.

I would think a school of large clown loaches would be left alone. Silver dollars would provide some action and should be fast enough to avoid getting eaten. Really large single tail goldfish would probably be fine. Large eels like fire/zig zag/ tire track would probably be left alone. I would think large gouramis like pink kissers would be fine in there. I always liked seeing them in ponds. Clown knife fish would work in there.

Another route to go is stick with the us native theme and do some cool centrarchids and native catfish.
being a pond a eel is a bad idea because they are escape artists

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
You could do bichirs in that pond, or some larger catfish like vulture catfish. I don’t know if a silver aro would work but let some other members chime in

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
if the net is a fine enough mesh(less than half the eel or bichirs width) it could work just be careful bichirs and eels are escape artists

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
If you want some mid level fish then a arowana could work, jardini, black or African are the best for that size pond and you could have some datnoids or peacock bass as well. Maybe some oscars? There are many options

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store