400g Build Advice

Anyparxia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2021
The base isn’t as important as the length and height when calculating glass thickness.

With euros around the top and cross bracing 1/2 inch would probably work.
I personally would over build. Thus my original opinion of going with thicker glass.

I’ve never built tanks with two sheets of glass on top of each other.
I’m assuming that’s what you mean when you say double base. One sheet down then another sheet smaller to give room for the side panels. Correct?
Tanks built this way will give some extra holding power for the sides but you could accomplish the same thing with inside euro around the bottom.
Ok I did not know that about the double base, I forgot to mention I plan on doing a floating base along with a top and bottom euro brace. The water level will be around roughly 26 inches. Ive read somewhere that if the end panels are more than 3'x2' it would not work is that true. Thank you guys for your help!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Anyparxia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2021
Agreed. 12mm glass should suffice for a tank 2ft/24inch high. Euro braces would give it the best support.
But if you have the option for 14mm or 16mm I'd use that for extra support and peace of mind.
The problem is that the cost of upgrading the glass to that mm is more than double so it's not within the budget.

Anyparxia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2021
The reason I was asking about the double base is because of this
The maximum height I would recommend for 12mm glass is 30 inches. If I were making the tank any wider than 24 inches then I would also use a dole base.

Anyparxia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2021
So I went with what was advised and went 24 inches in height instead of 27. I went with a normal base where the panels sit on top of the bottom. I also used 2mm spacers to allow for a gap to silicone the bottom of each panel and will go along with top and bottom eurobrace along with crossbraces. I have some concerns about the build. I siliconed the tank on Jan 22 and after I was done as the silicone was skinning up I saw this in the bottom right corner of the seam. It occupies around 1/4th the seam that is 60cm high. All the other seams are flawless except this portion here. The four corners of the tank inside will be reinforced with vertical seam guards so I am not worried about it leaking. I am more worried about the structural capability of this seam. Should I be worried? Any advice is much appreciated.

1 (1).jpg

2 (1).jpg

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
So I went with what was advised and went 24 inches in height instead of 27. I went with a normal base where the panels sit on top of the bottom. I also used 2mm spacers to allow for a gap to silicone the bottom of each panel and will go along with top and bottom eurobrace along with crossbraces. I have some concerns about the build. I siliconed the tank on Jan 22 and after I was done as the silicone was skinning up I saw this in the bottom right corner of the seam. It occupies around 1/4th the seam that is 60cm high. All the other seams are flawless except this portion here. The four corners of the tank inside will be reinforced with vertical seam guards so I am not worried about it leaking. I am more worried about the structural capability of this seam. Should I be worried? Any advice is much appreciated.

View attachment 1486113

View attachment 1486114
Don't worry itll be fine.
I have seen worse cases hold up perfectly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store