400g build

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
just got cought up on your thread. bummer you are having issues but way to hang in there. you're a trooper!
Funny you should post this, as im considering forfeiting the build completely at this time.
20200508_160008.jpg
20200508_155750.jpg

My seam was fine, but the bottom panel went and cracked on me. This is devastating to my efforts. So tempted to try a glass patch, but by now i know that would be a pretty foolish stunt with a tank this large.

Gah, all this work. I just cant seem to break that 200 gallon mark with my builds.

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Funny you should post this, as im considering forfeiting the build completely at this time.
View attachment 1416876
View attachment 1416877

My seam was fine, but the bottom panel went and cracked on me. This is devastating to my efforts. So tempted to try a glass patch, but by now i know that would be a pretty foolish stunt with a tank this large.

Gah, all this work. I just cant seem to break that 200 gallon mark with my builds.
man that sucks!
next time add a foam support under that tank. it;s standard practice for all non rimed tanks. like 1/4" insulation or yoga matt ect with the flat bottom tanks .( not to be confused with the classic rock song fat bottom girls...lol)
they need a perfectly flat , level and supported support or issues happen.

after looking at the pic again I speculate the silicone flexed a bit putting pressure on that pice of glass and snap. you got off lucky I have seen ( online) full tank explode on to the floor.

you gonna get another bottom sheet and try again? I think with one solid sheet and foam support you would have better luck!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
man that sucks!
next time add a foam support under that tank. it;s standard practice for all non rimed tanks. like 1/4" insulation or yoga matt ect with the flat bottom tanks .( not to be confused with the classic rock song fat bottom girls...lol)
they need a perfectly flat , level and supported support or issues happen.

after looking at the pic again I speculate the silicone flexed a bit putting pressure on that pice of glass and snap. you got off lucky I have seen ( online) full tank explode on to the floor.

you gonna get another bottom sheet and try again? I think with one solid sheet and foam support you would have better luck!
Lookin like my 72"x48" is gonna end up being the 72"x30" that i initially set out to build. Gonna have to make a new stand with new materials and sure I'll use foam i guess.

I just dont see how that 15mm cracked. I would agree with you if the tank was flexing and it cracked around the middle, but that crack is coming out of the corner.

I tried this build with side panels on top of the bottom. Im definitely going back to floating bottom style as this has given me nothing but headache.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Man Sorry to hear about this, I'm bummed for you. Definitely could have been worse. Don't give up on the build. Have you considered plywood bottom? I'm not sure of the cost vs glass just throwing it out there. Hang in there.

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Man Sorry to hear about this, I'm bummed for you. Definitely could have been worse. Don't give up on the build. Have you considered plywood bottom? I'm not sure of the cost vs glass just throwing it out there. Hang in there.
I was thinking the same thing. maybe a plywood bottom and reuse the glass he has?

OP - IDK I have never tried it but there is a king of DIY youtube video on plywood bottom tanks. if nothing else it 's worth the watch.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks for all the support people. I really shouldve just stuck with the original planned 72x30x27 tank. I quickly shifted to a larger tank design and obviously made some compromises somewhere along the line that didnt add up to a winning tank. At my present skill level, i have no business trying to construct a tank like this. So much more to consider than what it appears to be once these builds get large.

Im gonna revisit my previous plan. I have all the glass i need and my pumps and sumps will work better on a bit smaller tank. Just not looking forward to the work.

Reactions: TheWolfman

Fsh Lvr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2020
I'm sos sorry this isn't working out I feel so bad for you!!? So what are you going to do with the rest of the glass? Are you going to build build a smaller sump or tank? Or are you going to try over again? I hope the new one works and I can't wait to see the final product!!! Wishing you the best of luck!!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I'm sos sorry this isn't working out I feel so bad for you!!? So what are you going to do with the rest of the glass? Are you going to build build a smaller sump or tank? Or are you going to try over again? I hope the new one works and I can't wait to see the final product!!! Wishing you the best of luck!!
Well I'll have a use for it im sure. I'll most likely build the 72x30x27 out of all 15mm, which will leave me the 12mm to make something like a 48x27x27...sounds like a good tank for my growing flowerhorn.

For the sump, i may take those 2 75s apart and make a custom sump for the larger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store