450L Discus tank

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Hi i am going to be stocking a 5ft 450L tank & was wondering on ur opinion on the below stock.

8 Adult Discus

30-40 Cardinal Tetras or Runnynose or redeye

15 Bleading Heart Tetra

10-15 Corydorus

Pair of Apisto Or Guianacara geayi

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would leave out the cardinal/rummynose tetras. Just stick with:

8 discus
12-15 bleeding heart tetras
10-15 cories

Even this stocking is pushing it on the bioload. If I recall correctly, 450L is around 120-125 gal. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma (Bleeding Heart tetra) are not temperature compatible with discus. There temperature range is from 70 degrees to 82 degrees- the last few of each temperature ( low and high) representing the extremes of temperature that they temporarily experience in a given year. What they do experience, the majority of the year, is in the middle numbers --- 75-78 degrees. I would do your other planned combination.

You would get more visual pleasure out of one large school of one type of tetra, but, of course you can do two schools if you want. With one school you will get much tighter schooling behavior that will smoothly go from one side of tank to other ( especially with the Rummy-nose-- very tight schoolers). With two schools, they will meet in the middle of the tank, break up temporarily, regroup, and then continue to school. They school, they break-up, regroup, and school again to other side of tank or go back the way they came. With one school you get a smoother action from one side to the other. Just something to think about.

I would do 50 of either Paracheirodon axelrodi or Hemigrammus rhodostomus

-or-
25 of each.

Make sure with the high temperatures that the discus require that you get a corydoras species that can also be in those temperatures so that its life-span isn't shortened substantially.
Look for c. sterbei, schwartzi, duplicareous, or adolphoi

Reactions: decoy50
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store