5 CL'S in 4ft 95gallon tank for long term?

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, 2 months ago I boughtt me. 5.Cl'S abt 3.5iin and they're in a 48 x 20 x 24in almost 4 x2 x2 ft tank. (I use to have 5 silver dollars but I've rehome them).
So it's just 5 CL'S with 6 scissortail rasboras(who are always at the top) n some small barbs.
I completely agree that sometime in the furure I'll have to get me a 6 footer but me wife is saying a BIg NO!
So I was wondering if there was anyone here who has kept some CL'S in a 4 ft tank for long term !?
I heard they grow real slow(this is good news for me) but really how long do I have actually before I should start upgrading.
I'm just praying my wife will in someway, somehow will say yes (hopefully !)
Please bear in mind it's just 5 CL'S and that's it nothing else.
The question is can I keep them long term in a 95gallon(360! Litre) *tank.?
Tha ks in advance

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
They would certainly appreciate more space but that is not a bad tank for them imo.

With good food and clean water they should hit 5" in a years time, maybe 6" in another year, then very slow growth after that. Most "full grown" loaches i see on this site are over ten years old it seems. Hey by that time maybe your wife will permit the larger tank.

As they grow, you can help them out by opening the tank floor up--less clutter and more space.

Reactions: Bill Bajaj

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
They would certainly appreciate more space but that is not a bad tank for them imo.

With good food and clean water they should hit 5" in a years time, maybe 6" in another year, then very slow growth after that. Most "full grown" loaches i see on this site are over ten years old it seems. Hey by that time maybe your wife will permit the larger tank.

As they grow, you can help them out by opening the tank floor up--less clutter and more space.
What an encouraging reply buddy ! Thks so much yes I'm changing 50%weekly and presently I have 8 CL'S 5-3.5inches and 3 abt 2.5 inches and yes I've made up a clear swimming space for them they're together with 6 scissortail rasbora as dither fish which are always on the top so no bother.
They are a joy(when they come out and do their dance.!)
I hope to post some photos soon I think mine are the kalimantan type ones with red/orange pelvic fins I intend to get some feedback whatever kind they really are they are brightly coulored n pretty!
Cheers buddy

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What an encouraging reply buddy ! Thks so much yes I'm changing 50%weekly and presently I have 8 CL'S 5-3.5inches and 3 abt 2.5 inches and yes I've made up a clear swimming space for them they're together with 6 scissortail rasbora as dither fish which are always on the top so no bother.
They are a joy(when they come out and do their dance.!)
I hope to post some photos soon I think mine are the kalimantan type ones with red/orange pelvic fins I intend to get some feedback whatever kind they really are they are brightly coulored n pretty!
Cheers buddy
Yes i have a trio of clowns now. Have a personal goal of keeping them to maturity as ive only kept them to 5-6" in the past. Great fish for sure. Hopefully one of the dedicated loach keepers chimes in on your situation. Ive seen some pix of monster loaches on this site.

Reactions: Bill Bajaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store