Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

5" rio mag - growout

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by Escongleam, May 16, 2018.

1. Escongleam

Escongleam MFK Members

Jun 23, 2018
      It just started showing blue on upper lip corner, is that a promising sign that it might be a male? understanding its still to small to sex ..

Thanks for thoughts

Rio Mag.jpg

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson MFK Members

Jeremy Jacob Anderson
      Aug 5, 2018
      Super jealous, I want one someday. Maybe more than one.

3. Brandonclark88

Brandonclark88 MFK Members

Brandon clark
      Thursday at 9:18 AM
      If it's 5" it's not too promising that it's a male. Do you have any other fish with it? If you keep a mirror placed up to the tank it will help you sex the fish. If it's a male it will be very agressive and turn very colorful. If it's a female it may show signs of spawning with the mirror. Keep an eye out for any black in the dorsal or the anal fins. That's a dead give away of a female

4. Escongleam

Escongleam MFK Members

Jun 23, 2018
      Thanks for your comments ..... it is actually growing pretty slow too. I am hoping for one male, I have a 2” Guatape I am growing out and also just received 3 from Río San Juan Choco ....

5. Escongleam

Escongleam MFK Members

Jun 23, 2018
      well still hoping ..... per your advice I one of new umbees, similar size ( shows some nice color ) in the tank with him and he immediately started flaring and then lip locked. It’s color shifted pretty dramatically, body going very dark green and some nice blue spotting in dorsal and tail. Didn’t see any black in fins..... separated them into separate tanks and am crossing fingers ..