50 gallon drum filter ideas?? help!!

James.Lafontaine

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Long Island NY
Ive been thinking of ways to make the most efficient filter out of 2-3 50 gallon drums. i've been researching all different kinds of filters people make with 50 gallon drums for months but i still cant decide which approach I want to take. I saw a video that greg jones has in his youtube channel (the link to the videos below) and I like that design but I am also trying to keep the cost down. I also know swirl filters are another option but i don't know if it would be as good. If anyone has any ideas on what would be the most efficient in cost and filtration I would love to hear it! btw the setup is for a 350 gallon setup running 2 tanks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I have one filtering my 360. It's so easy to make and even easier to maintain. See the picture below.

In that barrel are 4 crates stacked up. The top crate, crate 1, with the white splash barrier on top, contains mech filtration, varying size poret sponge and floss.

The water flows through the holes in the bottom into crate 2 which contains bio filtration, ceramic rings, plastic bio balls, odds and sods of old sponges etc etc. The water flows through holes in the bottom and into crate 3 which contains more of the same bio wise.

Water flows through the holes in the bottom of this crate and goes into crate 4, the bottom crate. This crate has a hole in the side and my pump sits snuggly in their. It pumps water back to the tank and obviously in doing so draws water down through the stacked crates.

Maintainance day, I just take that top crate into the kitchen, empty it out and thoroughly rinse all my sponges under the tap. I replace my floss with new. Then I just put the crate back and put the splash plates back on top.

Very basic and super easy, I love it.

20200808_160244.jpg

James.Lafontaine

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Long Island NY
i currently have a drum filter running now but it isnt really doing a good job. I also want to add my uv sterilizer to it. ill put a picture of the drum im currently running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store