500 gallon

fishmaster11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
???
Hi MFK,

So I need some help. I recently got a 500 gallon tank. I placed a 3/4 inch sanded pine plywood and 1 inch foam on top. But some people are telling me I need to either paint the plywood or seal it? Do you guys think that is necessary? I'm just trying to avoid it because it would be double the work. Tank is already set on the plywood

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I assume the reasoning is the plywood getting wet and maybe rotting.
I would say if you understand that In the beginning and are careful it wouldn’t be 100% necessary.
It will eventually get wet, but I would think that unless it stayed wet continuously it would dry out without rotting.
I the same thing underneath my 220 for the past 10 years and I haven’t had a problem.

fishmaster11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
???
I assume the reasoning is the plywood getting wet and maybe rotting.
I would say if you understand that In the beginning and are careful it wouldn’t be 100% necessary.
It will eventually get wet, but I would think that unless it stayed wet continuously it would dry out without rotting.
I the same thing underneath my 220 for the past 10 years and I haven’t had a problem.
You didn't paint or seal it huh?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
This is a toss up. Some folks do it and some don't bother. Depending on your set-up, the plywood edge may get a little wet now and then, but it could just dry off with no issues I would think. What kind of stand do you have? For me, I ended painting since I would see it from underneath the stand and wanted it to look cleaner/nicer - but that's just me.

I used MDO, so it had a nice smooth surface to paint so didn't mind. I think you would be fine to leave as is if you didn't want to paint. Just good to decide now assuming it wasn't filled with water and stock, yet?

fishmaster11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
???
This is a toss up. Some folks do it and some don't bother. Depending on your set-up, the plywood edge may get a little wet now and then, but it could just dry off with no issues I would think. What kind of stand do you have? For me, I ended painting since I would see it from underneath the stand and wanted it to look cleaner/nicer - but that's just me.

I used MDO, so it had a nice smooth surface to paint so didn't mind. I think you would be fine to leave as is if you didn't want to paint. Just good to decide now assuming it wasn't filled with water and stock, yet?
It's a metal stand with wood wrap. No fish or water yet

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
The bigger question isn't the tank, its the sump. If you have a sump under the stand, and its sealed in, such that the bottom is exposed to 100% humidity air at all times and even some fine mists, it could rot over time for sure.

If there isn't a sump under it and you are more worried about splashes from cleaning or what not I'd say its not a big deal at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store