55 gal Uniquarium help with filtration!

WAFishGirl

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2023
I'm a newby at aquariums. I got a 55 gallon uniquarium for a fish only set up. I'm having a terrible time keeping larger particulate matter out of it.

I've done two 20% water changes

I have the stock set up with an added protein skimmer.

Any ideas??? Thanks for any guidance! The customer support from the company has been non existent. We live rurally so there's no shop to pop into.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You mention a protein skimmer, but no proper filter! Can you elaborate?

If indeed you do just have the protein skimmer in your tank, with no filter, then I'm not surprised your water is full of bits.

You need to dump the protein skimmer, not really needed in freshwater set ups, and get a proper filter specced for a 55g aquarium.

The mechanical side of the filter will take all those particles out of your water column and the biological section is where the majority of the beneficial bacteria will reside.

You didn't mention a filter at all but if you do already have one in the tank, and assuming it is working ok, then the only way you can have lots of particulate in the water column is if your mechanical section hasn't got adequate filtration media in there, sponges or filter floss for example. If your media isn't adequate then it will allow particles through, instead of collecting them. But like I said, you weren't clear on this.

Also, you say you are new to the hobby. Do you have understanding of the nitrogen cycle? What fish do you have in there? What water change schedule do you do? Do you have a test kit for checking your water?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You'll get all the support and help you need on here, we're a good bunch. Don't ever be frightened to ask newbie questions, as daft as you might think they are. We've all had to start somewhere!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Well OP said "fish only" so that entails FOWLR in my mind so maybe it is saltwater.

My limited experience with the uniquarium AIOs are that they are not set up (at least in stock configuration) to handle large bioloads or heavy waste buildup. Some more details on your setup and stocking with pictures of your filter setup would be very helpful here.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm guessing because you say "fish only" this is a salt water set up?
If so, the protein skimmer is important and helps remove particulate, but the waste bucket (cup) needs to be regularly cleaned, perhaps every couple days..
How long has the tank been set up?
You say two 20% water changes, over how much time?
Have you been cleaning the filter media regularly?
How much are you feeding to what kind, what size, and how many fish? a very light bioload is very import inthese all in one systems, trying keeping this type set up healthy.

WAFishGirl

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2023
Thanks for the help! It is a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. The Uniquarium (Clear for Life) comes with a built in filter, bio balls, pump and power head. I added a protein skimmer, heater and another small power head. I used live sand and cured live rock for my aquascaping. We have a goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 small damsel and 4 small clown fish. They all seem to get along pretty well.

We've had our system up and running for 6 weeks. I've done two 20% water changes (every 2 weeks or so). I've been testing the water for nitrate, phosphate, calcium, carbonate hardness, salinity and pH and all are within range.

There's just so much particulate matter floating around. I added some more filter media to try to capture it. Wondering why it's happening. It was CLEAN for 4 weeks and now in the past 2 weeks this has happened despite adding filter media and the 20% water change (cleaned the gravel too). It's not cloudy, it's just lots of particles floating around (not bubbles). The company told me the system just needs to build healthy bacteria to capture it but I'm not sure I understand that for the large particulate matter.

(Please excuse the poor photos)

Fish tank 1.jpg

Fish tank 2.jpg

Fish tank 3.jpg

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
You need to add more mechanical filtration on the intake side of your false wall. You can also see if you can find a filter sock adapter that will fit into the first slot where water overflows into your filter. Another option is to find an appropriately sized media basket to make your mechanical filtration more efficient.

Check here: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-products/baskets/

Reactions: Backfromthedead

scalareson

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2022
Anchorage, Alaska
It wouldn't hurt to increase the volume of those water changes actually, like 50/60% every 2 weeks instead. I would aim for turning over 100% of the volume every month if you're aiming for crystal clear water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store