55 Gallon Stocking

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I was wondering if this stocking would work. I have done my research and I believe it would.

Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid x1 male and x3 female

Redline Rasbora x5

Neon Tetra x10

Zebra Danio x5

Bristle Nose Pleco x2

This is going to be a 55 with most likely 2-3 sponge filters

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Changed!
We will be doing this instead:

Male Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid x1
Female Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid x3
Male Bristle-nose Pleco x1
Female Bristle-nose Pleco x1
Male Dwarf Gourami x1
Neon Tetras x20

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I'd try for cardinal tetras instead of neons. Neons do better in cooler water where your other stock may not.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Uh,
Could I do a butterfly fish or 3?

My plan is to buy the tank once I have everything decided. Then I will see what I need for it. I am going with sponge filters so while it is cycling I will put in a pad from my other filter. That way there is some beneficial bacteria. Then I will feed the water every day just a little bit.
Then when test kit says the water is cycled I will buy Cichlids and gourami. Once those settle in I will get the plecos and butterflies if I can. Then once these are settled I will get Tetras. But I do know I want the neons and I have had them before in temps in the 80s and they were fine. But this tank is going to be in the 70-73 range because that is what will go for all the fish.

But please tell me if 3 butterflies would work. Plus I am considering a group of mystery snails. Love those little guys. :D thanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would put the tetras, etc. in first and introduce the cichlids last. If you drop the apisto's in as the first fish I bet you will never see them.
Any reason you only want to do sponge filters? I know some people do that but I think you won't regret it if you put an aquaclear on there as well. If you do, you could easily just put your old filter pad in the AQ filter and avoid cycling altogether.
Butterfly fish are predators, might eat small tetras. But I have seen them kept in planted setups with small fish, which they did not eat. So probably just luck whether they do or not.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Ok. So these Cichlids need other fish to feel comfortable?

No butterfly fish ok.

What super beautiful fish can I get that will live with the neons, gourami, plecos, and Cichlids?

I really don't want the redlines anymore after seeing more pics of them...

Could I get a male betta?

Or could I get a school of rummy nose?

Or could I get a red tailed shark?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Tank sounds pretty full already to me. But you could put a couple more small 1-2" fish in there. I would check out killifish, they stay small, peaceful, very pretty, and can live in pairs.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Can I go with this?

Male Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid x1
Female Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid x3
Male Bristle-nose Pleco x1
Female Bristle-nose Pleco x1
Male Dwarf Gourami x1
Neon Tetras x20
Male Betta x1
Yellow Mystery Snail x3-5

And maybe put them all in at once?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would ditch the betta, they can get aggressive with other fish with flashy betta-like fins, such as the cacatoides. But they are pushovers when it comes down to it, and a male apisto would probably shred the betta if he started something.
Other than that, stocking looks fine.
I wouldn't put all fish in at once, you'll want to add them in 2 or 3 groups so the beneficial bacteria has a chance to catch up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store