55 gallon tank

joshua752

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
United States
Hey all so I have recently set up a 55 gallon tank yes it’s cycled it has a filter off my 125 I switched over to it and it’s all up and ready to go. So far all I have In it is 1 blood parrot my girlfriend had her heart set on one so we had to have one. But anyways what would you all add in? Preferably colorful and schooling suggestions but no tiger barbs. Any suggestions would be awesome based off the single blood parrot I have . Filtration will be 2 aquaclear 50s and a sponge filter Thanks in advance!

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
A dozen of large/mid sized tertas -- lemon / skirt / bleeding heart / buenos aires /serpae / etc
OR
A dozen of mid sized barbs _ rosy / cherry / dennison / etc
get in some plants and also maybe some small pleco or maybe a group of corys .
I wouldn't add any other cichlid in there with the BP.

ALSO if you want the BP to have a nice bond with you , { provided you have the time to try to bond with it } I'd suggest you keep the BP as a solo wet pet in the 55 and maybe just add a B.Pleco or two.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
You could keep 1-3 BP in that size tank easily if you're prepared to do water changes twice/a few times a week.

joshua752

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
United States
Awesome good choices indeed! What about something like this? This is kind of her deal I’m just doing the water changes ? she loves balloon Molly’s to so what about like
2 blood parrot
4 ballon molly
1 Bristlesnose
6 Cory cats or Kuhli loaches
And a dozen mid size tetras ?

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
IMO 2 BP would be doable but on the higher end if you also have tankmates.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hey all so I have recently set up a 55 gallon tank yes it’s cycled it has a filter off my 125 I switched over to it and it’s all up and ready to go. So far all I have In it is 1 blood parrot my girlfriend had her heart set on one so we had to have one. But anyways what would you all add in? Preferably colorful and schooling suggestions but no tiger barbs. Any suggestions would be awesome based off the single blood parrot I have . Filtration will be 2 aquaclear 50s and a sponge filter Thanks in advance!
I’m partial to Columbian tetras, they look like mini Piranhas and are ideal in size, about 3”

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Awesome good choices indeed! What about something like this? This is kind of her deal I’m just doing the water changes ? she loves balloon Molly’s to so what about like
2 blood parrot
4 ballon molly
1 Bristlesnose
6 Cory cats or Kuhli loaches
And a dozen mid size tetras ?
Doable but with only 1 blood parrot.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think your list would bo OK with 1 BP and without the dozen tetras.

I will say, I've currently got a 7" cichlid in a 55 gallon with only a swordtail and a tiny clown pleco as tankmates. Water changes twice a week are necessary, and when I do them, the gravel is filled with gunk. Big adult cichlids poop alot, and plecos do as well. If two 50% water changes a week sounds like too much to you, I would keep the stocking much lighter. BP + bristlenose alone will make a lot of poo.

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store