55gal drums safe to use?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I have two drums that I picked up today for 20 bucks. Both of them have have not for food or drink stamped on them. That was my first flag. When I asked he guy I got them from were they came from since I specifically asked for food grade barrels. He told me that the barrels came from a company that stores food grade dye in them and that he cleaned them out with a sodium hypoclorate solution. What do you guys think about the safety of using them for filter s for my pond. My thinking is that if it had food grade dye in it then it couldn't really be that bad. The cleaner he used is used in regular soap and from what I can tell is also used in sanitizer for beer and wine making. My plan is to fill them up with water and let them sit for a few days in the sun to get them nice and hot to try and get anything that is left out. It is August and the barrels are black so I figure that they are gonna get pretty hot sitting in the sun all day. What is everyone's thoughts?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
There are food grade items that are poisonous to fish. Without knowing what was in the barrels or what the barrels are made of, it's all a guess.

If you want to experiment, I'd suggest grabbing around 20-30 fish (goldfish, guppies, tetras, etc.) and tossing half of them into a barrel with dechlorinated water and the other half in a clean bucket with the same. Watch them over a 96 hour period and you might get your answer.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
That was my thoughts as well. I will rinse them really good and dump some goldfish in there and see what happens. I was initially concerned with the soap used because that compound is also found in drain cleaner but then I also found out is is actually used in several cooking processes such as pretzels appatently.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used blue barrels that contained cationic flocculants as sumps without a problem. I made sure they were properly rinsed by using them under rain gutters for an entire summer before use.
But the sacrificial fish idea seems like a more expedient method.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I use 55g barrels (the blue hdpe) for rain barrels for my garden. No issues. They originally held windshield washer fluid. The mosquito larvae do fine in them :( so that might mean something. hdpe is fish safe. Many people use it in their tanks, and it is commonly used for for commercial aquaculture and for aquaponics.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for all the replies! These were all kinda what I was thinking. There are always third people that are super cautious about things and refuse to use things that really are not in reality harmful. Just Look At California. Litterally Breathing causes Cancer apparently. If windshield washer fluid didn't soak in I'm sure that food coloring would be fine.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
If you want to make absolute sure, catch some of fish at your local pond, and put them in the barrels with an airstone/pump. If you don't observe any negative effects you know your good. Then, just release the fish, and let the barrels dry for several days to kill any parasites. Never tried this method, just assuming it will work.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Well the advantage of that is if I did that I would just keep them. The pond is a North American native pond that I am building

Reactions: J. H.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You'll probably have to keep them. Very few (if any) localities permit the release of fish that way.

Here's an example from West Virginia:

What you can do:
• NEVER move fish from one body of water to another
• Drain live wells thoroughly before leaving an access area
• Dispose of ALL unwanted bait in the trash
• Do not release live aquarium fish into West Virginia’s waters

I don't think you can take fish home, then bring them back.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store