5gallon setup

Yayo32

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2017
I have a marineland 5 gallon portrait aquarium I really want to make saltwater, I'm new to saltwater, all I know is I need live sand, rock, and saltwater. My question is can I put a filter from an existing tank on my tank to boost things up?
I'm hoping for frogfish or a fuzzy dwarf lionfish any advice is appreciated

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Yes you can but know it's better to go for a 30gallon when you first start saltwater. It helps to maintain water parameters with a larger volume of water. Believe me I've had my own 10 gallon and the parameters would get out of control quickly. I switched to a 30 and it was much easier to control

Reactions: Yayo32

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a marineland 5 gallon portrait aquarium I really want to make saltwater, I'm new to saltwater, all I know is I need live sand, rock, and saltwater. My question is can I put a filter from an existing tank on my tank to boost things up?

5 gallon too small for a fuzzy dwarf Lionfish or any Frogfish.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
The larger the tank (like in freshwater) the easier it is to maintain/ If you want a fuzzy dwarf lionfish go for a 75 or larger, better for you and the fish.

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Oratosquilla oratoria is a kind of mantis shrimps that have very interesting appearance and behavior but don't have the tank busting bubble gun.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah fuzzy dwarf lion and any angler wont do in 5 gal. I'd need to see said tank to tell you if you could put any sort of filter on it. Maybe you could get a clown goby or something like that.
29g would be minimum recommendation for either fish you said. And bigger is better.

Reactions: AaronKWolfe

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'm new too, if you want to look at things you can put in that size tank, I suggest checking this cool guide out!
have fun and remember to research every little question you have because 90% of the time someone else has had that thought too!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store