6-8 Inch Catfish

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
Hi there! This is my first post here.

I was wondering what 8-10 inch catfish there are that could live in a 150g with an oscar and senegal bichir. I don't have the tank nor the fish and likely won't for quite some time. Just planning in advance.

So far I'm liking the look of Pimelodus blochii. Not a fan of Synodontis or raphaels.

Are there any fish that look like Bagarius yarrelli that fit this size range and compatibilty. Obviously that fish gets too big - I'm just a huge fan of the look. Even if a fish looks like that and is a bit bigger/smaller than my preferred size range but still compatible.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK!

IMHO (humble) there are entirely too many options. You could browse Planet Catfish Cat-eLog and also you can filter it by size and study the hits.

As for the Bagarius species, there could be some that grow small in that genus (rutilus?). Chicxulub Chicxulub should advise you better. And there are look alikes of the size you are looking for in the Sisoridae family. I'd encourage you to take a look through the family on PCF again. Glyptothorax come to mind but they are specialized, high velocity, cooler water stream fish that might not fit in with your oscar and bichir.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hi there! This is my first post here.

I was wondering what 8-10 inch catfish there are that could live in a 150g with an oscar and senegal bichir. I don't have the tank nor the fish and likely won't for quite some time. Just planning in advance.

So far I'm liking the look of Pimelodus blochii. Not a fan of Synodontis or raphaels.

Are there any fish that look like Bagarius yarrelli that fit this size range and compatibilty. Obviously that fish gets too big - I'm just a huge fan of the look. Even if a fish looks like that and is a bit bigger/smaller than my preferred size range but still compatible.
As to Bagarius, I'll first point you to my essay on the matter and ask you to then come back with any specific questions regarding goonch cats. This will also answer your question about size. As Viktor pointed out, rutilus is a great option-

As to the mix, I wouldn't keep a goonch with big cichlids, but that's just me. It clearly works for some people. I wouldn't do it however because goonch seem to have a proclivity for sudden, unexplained deaths, and I am of the mindset that with specialized and rare oddball predators who like to die, one is well served to minimize potential negative factors.

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
Welcome to the MFK!

IMHO (humble) there are entirely too many options. You could browse Planet Catfish Cat-eLog and also you can filter it by size and study the hits.

As for the Bagarius species, there could be some that grow small in that genus (rutilus?). Chicxulub Chicxulub should advise you better. And there are look alikes of the size you are looking for in the Sisoridae family. I'd encourage you to take a look through the family on PCF again. Glyptothorax come to mind but they are specialized, high velocity, cooler water stream fish that might not fit in with your oscar and bichir.
Thanks so much for the reply. I had no idea that I could filter by size on PCF. Huge help, thank you. I'll check that out now.
Look into bagrichthys and bagroides cats. Im unsure of their compatibility but i think they would get along well with Os. Heard they can be territorial with other bottom feeders.
Thank you. And wow, Bagroides melapterus is one of the most stunning catfish! Love black and yellow fish. I don't believe they would play very nice though. Unfortunate, but even just seeing and learning about them is a pleasure. I'll research them more and check out PCF too.
As to Bagarius, I'll first point you to my essay on the matter and ask you to then come back with any specific questions regarding goonch cats. This will also answer your question about size. As Viktor pointed out, rutilus is a great option-

As to the mix, I wouldn't keep a goonch with big cichlids, but that's just me. It clearly works for some people. I wouldn't do it however because goonch seem to have a proclivity for sudden, unexplained deaths, and I am of the mindset that with specialized and rare oddball predators who like to die, one is well served to minimize potential negative factors.
Wow. That was a great read. And the size of those fish is impressive. Beautiful shape too. Love their faces. I won't have a tank or fish big enough to support these guys it seems. Thank you so much for the link and for the essay, always love learning about these fish. I'll keep looking for catfish I like. Though I'm still a long way away from getting the tank, let alone the fish.

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
You know what? Forget what I said about synos. I absolutely love the look of Synodontis granulosus. How do you think they would far with an oscar and bichir? Same goes for the Pimelodus blochii?

edit* The more I look at this syno, the more I fall in love with it. Stunning! Really hoping they are compatible! If they are, would the Pim be too much to add on top of the syno too?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Personally I would not have any issue with granulosus or the blochii with the Oscar or birchir as I have found they can both hold their own pretty well, although others may disagree.

Reactions: Bub

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive seen big granulosus kept with big Os. Makes for an impressive tank.

However, when it comes to oscars, i always suggest adding them later if you have a small tankmate that may not grow so fast. I would get the syno cat first, grow him to at least 6", then get the Os. The combination of Os growth rate and eat everything mentality can be tricky. Ive had a 6" Oscar try to swallow 6" pictus cats...

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
Personally I would not have any issue with granulosus or the blochii with the Oscar or birchir as I have found they can both hold their own pretty well, although others may disagree.
That's great to hear! Thank you. I haven't been this excited about a fish for a while now.
The oscar will let you know if it will work out.
That is something I'm worried about. Each oscar is different, really hope I can manage to buy one that tolerates other fish. I have a thing for red oscars in particular.
Ive seen big granulosus kept with big Os. Makes for an impressive tank.

However, when it comes to oscars, i always suggest adding them later if you have a small tankmate that may not grow so fast. I would get the syno cat first, grow him to at least 6", then get the Os. The combination of Os growth rate and eat everything mentality can be tricky. Ive had a 6" Oscar try to swallow 6" pictus cats...
That makes sense. I'll do the oscar last I think. Would a 6 inch bichir do well with a smaller oscar? I believe they are sold around 2-3 inches though I'm not great at estimating sizes.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store