6-8 Inch Catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I believe the Harlequin lancer catfish could do alright in that tank but one must keep in mind that it's an odd combo of fish that never see each other in the wild - Africa, Asia, and South America and even regardless of that every tank differs and every combo is a gamble, some safer, some less so.

Beware that Synodontis granulosus is quite rarely offered, and is a high ticket item, around $300 for a baby and that there are many knock-off hybrids around, sadly.

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
I believe the Harlequin lancer catfish could do alright in that tank but one must keep in mind that it's an odd combo of fish that never see each other in the wild - Africa, Asia, and South America and even regardless of that every tank differs and every combo is a gamble, some safer, some less so.

Beware that Synodontis granulosus is quite rarely offered, and is a high ticket item, around $300 for a baby and that there are many knock-off hybrids around, sadly.
Great, thank you. That's four catfish I'm going to have a very hard time choosing between now then. The pim, syno, harlequin and golden nugget pleco. Glad I have a long time to choose.

Is it bad to mix fish from different areas of the world? I hadn't even considered that.

I was reading about the syno and its relative rarity and expensiveness. I believe the harlequin would be the same? If the syno is compatible and I can manage to get one, I may not mind the hole it will leave in my wallet. I'm absolutely loving the look of that fish.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
In my experience, Oscars tend to be less aggressive to other fish if not kept alone. The proviso here is that you don't end up with a pair, which could cause aggression if they decide to breed. More than one tend to interact together in preference to interacting with other tank mates although that's only my experience and fish personalities definitely count here.

Reactions: Matteus and Bub

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I love my Syno granulosus, but so far mine has grown extremely slowly. I have had him for about 10 months now and he has grown only an inch or so while in my other cats have grown 3-5 in a smaller time frame. They are wonderful fish, mine will even take food out of my hand but just make keep in mind the slow growth rate

Reactions: Bub

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
In my experience, Oscars tend to be less aggressive to other fish if not kept alone. The proviso here is that you don't end up with a pair, which could cause aggression if they decide to breed. More than one tend to interact together in preference to interacting with other tank mates although that's only my experience and fish personalities definitely count here.
That's something I've been wondering, and I was going to ask if I should do two. It seems many people have mixed opinions on that though, and I don't want the tank too stocked. I may do a red and a tiger if that would work out. Or would another smaller cichlid, like convicts/firemouth etc, work out well?
I love my Syno granulosus, but so far mine has grown extremely slowly. I have had him for about 10 months now and he has grown only an inch or so while in my other cats have grown 3-5 in a smaller time frame. They are wonderful fish, mine will even take food out of my hand but just make keep in mind the slow growth rate
Wow! It looks so amazing. Absolutely stunning. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely do the oscars last and try to buy some fish that aren't too small to start with. Surprised that it grows that slow. Very interesting to hear. And I love that it eats from your hand. These guys keep getting better and better.

Reactions: Iamfish

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
He is a looker for sure. You should always post a pic of him whenever you mention it
;)

Reactions: Matteus and Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I was reading about the syno and its relative rarity and expensiveness. I believe the harlequin would be the same?
The harlequin I used to not see ever for many years then suddenly it started to pop up here and there in the USA since 2016. When it is offered, the price is reasonable, seems $25-$50.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus and Bub

Bub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2019
The harlequin I used to not see ever for many years then suddenly it started to pop up here and there in the USA since 2016. When it is offered, the price is reasonable, seems $25-$50.
I thought it would be much more than that. Very cool. I may end up getting a larger tank than 150g so I can get two of my catfish options alongside the bichir rather than just one. I have no idea which I want more.... love having the options though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store