6 dead

socalsurfer

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
So Ca
Well today has been a very bad day for me. I did a water change last night, and this morning I woke up to 6 dead fish. 2 which I'm very pissed about, 1 9inch WB Pulcher, and my lil WB pulcher that was prolly in the 4" range. 3 decent sized loaches 3-4" range and one of those blue loaches. I don't know what the Hell went wrong. All I can think of is that maybe the water had alot of chlorine in it. Also I have 2 filters, 1 xp3, and 1 ac 110. Sometimes after I unplug the ac110 it doesnt want to start up. This was one of those times, so I was going to work on it today. Maybe the bio load was just to much? I don't know. I tested the water this morning and it wasn't bad. I have had all these fish for well over a year and did not do anything different then I did in the past. I've seen other threads saying the same damn thing. Maybe I changed too much water? Again I have no idea, but this really sucks. My pride and joy has died. Now I'm thinking of getting rid of all the fresh water and starting a salt water. I hate the thought of getting some new Wide Bars & growing them out... I think it's time for a change. This is more of a ramble then anything else, but if there is someone out here that can give some good advice that would be ok to.:(

HunterX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2007
Minnetonka, MN
Well it's hard to say for sure but probably the water chemistry change was too drastic: Temp, Ph, hardness. Also tap water chemistry can change, sometimes have unusual copper or other metal levels , extra chlorine, etc.
I always add Prime to my tapwater before water changes just to be sure.
Sorry for your loss my friend.:(

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You're in SoCal. Are they fighting any wildfires near the reservoir that serves your neighborhood? If so, it's been published in the Trib that fire retardant running off into the reservoir can be harmful to fish. I've lost tanks of fish when I lived in IB to this before I learned of these chemicals getting into municipal water. The chemical coats fish gills and prevents O2 absorption. I had to go to a whole house filtration system to remove these (and other) harmful chemicals.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Oddball;883436; said:
You're in SoCal. Are they fighting any wildfires near the reservoir that serves your neighborhood? If so, it's been published in the Trib that fire retardant running off into the reservoir can be harmful to fish. I've lost tanks of fish when I lived in IB to this before I learned of these chemicals getting into municipal water. The chemical coats fish gills and prevents O2 absorption. I had to go to a whole house filtration system to remove these (and other) harmful chemicals.

wow !!!!!!!:( :(

socalsurfer

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
So Ca
That makes sense, but no I'm not in an area were there was a fire. I'm in Fullerton. I think it comes down to that over the past year I've been lucky with the way I've been changing the water. I do about 60-70% every 2 weeks. I think this time it was just to much of a change in the water. And my fish paid for it. That's all that I can think of. 4 fish did survive, 2 Oscars 1 wild one, and one regular tiger, 1 Common Pleco, and one of the blue loaches. I guess those guys are tough as nails. I don't know how the one little blue Loach made it, the 3 clowns and the other blue all died. Guess he just got lucky...
Anyway thanks for the responses guys. Now I'm thinking of what I want to get now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store