6' Dirt and Cap

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
I am on the hunt for a 180 or 210 gallon aquarium and it will be planted. I've decided that I will use some form of mineralized soil as a substrate.

Now my concern. I bought organic potting soil, not top soil. I sifted 6 bags, and got the finest silt out of that, then washed and dried it 3 times. The water still turns black when I wash it, and it still smells of ammonia. I don't have the tank yet, so I am not in a rush to get this done. Am I wasting time and should start over, or will this eventually work?

Thanks in Advance.

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
In case anyone is wondering, I have washed and dried the soil 3 times. The smell has diminished significantly. I'll wash it 2 or 3 more times and see if it gets better.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
A fellow hobbyist I know spreads the soil on a tarp in the sun after rinsing as his final step. All that is to much work dump it in and cap it.

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Yup, I have soaked the soil for 24-36 hours at a time, then laid it on a tarp to dry about a day (Arizona and it's summer). I've done it 3 times, and will do it 3 more I think. The goal is to eliminate all smell and it should have gone through the mineralization process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store