60 Gallon Tank 2 Texas Cichlids and 3 Jaguar juvenile not eating

John182

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Kunkletown, PA
It's been 2 days since I added the jaguars to the tank and no one is really eating. The jaguars spend most of their time on caves. I have fed Hikari small sinking pellets and they just sit on the substrate til it looks moldy and then we just scoop it out. This morning I tried sinking shrimp pellets this morning and no one seems to be interested in that either. They mostly just hide in the driftwood.

20180413_063652.jpg 20180413_063646.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The reason they are hiding in the driftwood, is probably because they are just little guys and don't feel comfortable in your tank. Looks very bright and with no cover other than those pieces of driftwood. What I would recommend, is you get some fake plants, the kind with suction cups that stick to the glass, and put them at the top of the tank. That will give the fish some shade and cover. I'd also recommend you add some dither fish, like some tall-bodied tetras. In the wild, cichlids watch small fish to see if the coast is clear of predators. So in tanks, if they see small fish swimming happily, they think they are safe.

John182

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Kunkletown, PA
Dude. Thank you. I bought 3 Dannios today. The guy didnt have the plants you said however I started to see more activity from my jaguars and Texas cichlids. I got some frozen blood worms and saw much more activity. The biggest of the jaguars didn't come out. They did eat and actually got to see my fish. Thanks.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Unless you got giant danios they may be gone before you know it, if that happens I'd recommend some taller-bodies dithers like Colombian tetras, and large ones if possible. Even those will probably get eaten when the jag is an adult, but by then you can either get larger dithers, or won't need them.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I agree it definitely needs more hiding spots. Fish will be shy if they don’t have them.
Also tank size. Even if they are small now, they might feel uncomfortable in a 4’ tank. Eventually will out grow the 60g.
IME more space, fish are more active and less skittish. This is part of the reason I stock my 150g w/ species in the 6-8” range for a community. They are always out and never hiding even though they have places to hide.

Reactions: tlindsey

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I wouldnt sweat tank size yet. Give them a little time to settle in, and possibly some more decorations/hides. unfortunately you have two of the most skittish while juvi cichlids out there ime. I have grown out both, and more times then not, they will hide most the time untill around the 6" mark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store