600 ish gallon plywood build w/ 3 viewing panels

motoracer110

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2010
Colorado
I've been wanting to build a big plywood aquarium for a few years now and finally getting it started. The dimensions are 90"L x 34"T x 45"W. I'm basing my design on the videos made by Joey the king of DIY, but adding glass on each side to for viewing. Since my gallons will be almost double what they are in his videos I will be doubling the strength of each seams by bracing both inside and outside the aquarium. I am planning on making this tank a mix peacock bass and some rays. This will be a long project for me and will keep updating as I go. Here is what I have so far...let the fun begin

image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Good start and should be nice when completed. Like the side viewing glass panels too.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Make sure you put it in a place in your house where its cemented like a basement or garage! Beautiful tank!

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Nice man it will be an awsume tank. Give some details what are you sealing with what adhesive what type filter.
If your like me you don't think that far ahead you will figure it out when you get there lol

motoracer110

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2010
Colorado
Good start and should be nice when completed. Like the side viewing glass panels too.
Thank you kno4te, I think the extra price in glass will be worth it.

Make sure you put it in a place in your house where its cemented like a basement or garage! Beautiful tank!
Thank you ihsnshaik, I lucked out in that my basement is slab concrete with carpet over it so should work out well. In the photo is where it will sit just up against the wall. I think in the future if I were to move I might have to destroy the tank but save the glass and start over.

looking good, what are you going to seal it with?
Thank you jam toast, I will be using pond shield epoxy black with fiberglass seams

Nice man it will be an awsume tank. Give some details what are you sealing with what adhesive what type filter.
If your like me you don't think that far ahead you will figure it out when you get there lol
Thank you Miller, I'll seal it with pond shield epoxy and will be using a sump with bio balls and filter socks, I currently have that in my 75gallon bass grow out and love the setup. I want the tank to be as automated as possible so will be doing a continuous drip system bare bottom. I also have my bass pellet trained in hopes that if I leave on vacation I can hook up an automatic koi pond feeder.

Reactions: kno4te

motoracer110

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2010
Colorado
A little update today I got the tank structure finished today. Crazy how big this thing is pictures don't do it justice. I added an extra brace on the inside of the tank which makes just over 2" thick of wood at the seams and will still fiberglas the seams. Time to get the pond shield ordered so I can get this thing sealed. In the meantime I will start getting the stand started.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
love the build. Reminds me a lot of the one I always thought out in my mind, 3 sided viewing is the way to go in my opinion. Looks great

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store