6x2x2 catfish wet pet

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Hey MFK!

when’s the new app coming out, can’t Dl this on y iPhone 11?

I’m unfortunately moving in coming months and this is forcing me simplify and sell off a lot of my stock.

as I think about maintenance I may use 2 of my 180’s for single species or specimen tanks. I’m a huge fan of catfish. I know a lot of what I’m going to ask here may be polarizing but here we go.

what catfish in your experiences are good wetpets?
I know some of these are active and others not so much but as the only fish in the tank what’s outgoing?

my thoughts- giraffe nose catfish #1
I would love Leiarius pictus but I think their whiskers are too long for a healthy setup.
Hemibagrus wyckii also jumps out at me but they can be reclusive.

anyone have any thoughts ?

it’s all speculative RN as I don’t even know where I’m moving yet.

thanks

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The app is dead and won’t be coming back.

Reactions: dr exum

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
It’s been down for a good few years if I recall correctly. You can check the comments secrion and you’ll find a few threads asking what happened to it and whatnot.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I was using it right up until a month ago when I got a new phone

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't know what defines a wet pet in general. You'd probably have to tell us much more about what you'd like to see or get out of your catfish. They are not like cichlids and most usually are pretty aloof with little or no interaction with a keeper, except the feeding times.

None of the fish you mentioned can live for long in a 180 gal happy and healthy, unless you manage to get a smaller-growing giraffe catfish, like Auchenoglanis senegali or biscutatus that supposedly don't exceed 12".

You might be ok with a Cephalosilurus apurensis. They grow to 2' but are a rather sedentary fish and you will get plenty of interaction when feeding but almost nothing outside of it. It's an ambush predator. Along the same line, can try giant bumblebee catfish, a much smaller and more manageable species.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I actually have an apurensis, who is quite happy in their own 75 gal. But you are correct that it’s mostly a loaf.
I want a cat that’s active, potential hand feeder and. In the 20-24” range. If I go this route it will be only fish in the tank and will be babied. I get a larger tank would be ideal but with care and attention I give my pets I feel comfortable going slightly larger than recommended. Most likely going to be a giraffe cat

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Bolt cat, smaller hemibagrus species, a number of Pims and most of the mystus although interaction with Pims and mystu s will be less than bolt and hemibagrus. I find the giraffes not to be as interactive as they could be, more just not bothered.
If you want really interactive cats for a 180 look at marbled clarias and hand feed them little and often.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I currently have a bolt and vulture- but neither is as interactive as the previous specimens I kept.

like I said it’s speculation- should have taken Rapps giraffe snuffy!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, Jeff Rapps said his gcat was quite interactive but very large too IIRC.

Apurensis hand feeds better than the best. It will swallow your hand too if you let it, so I am not sure where the disconnect is.

I said "aloof", not "a loaf", albeit they can be construed to mean the same thing in our exchange haha... as interactive as a loaf of bread...

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store