6x9 shed build

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
36
60
51
Australia
While the shed build was going on I was also working on an outside pond. When we bought the house it already had a small pond over grown with plants and surrounded by rocks full of spiders. There were a couple of decent sized koi in there and I already had a few in 1 of my tanks, they all went into an IBC temporarily while I sorted out the pond. The first step was to clear the existing pond, rocks and plants then find a pond the right size and at the right price.

a.jpeg

b.jpeg

I ended up with a pond approx. 2m x 1m x 800mm and started digging. It took a bit of time to get it level but it ended up being pretty good. The long sides bowed in when I started to fill the sand around it so I had to dig it out and fill it with water before slowly filling the sand in again.

bb.jpg

c.jpeg

I wanted it to have plants in the filter because I was dumping all my old tank water into it. The pond pump goes up to a bin full of sponge then into 2 pots full of clay balls and some Monestera. They have already grown a lot and are keeping the nitrates down. Around the pond I planted some Philodendrons and some Liriope evergreen giants. The Philodendrons aren’t getting enough water at the moment and the soil was pretty average they went into so they are struggling.

d.jpg

e.jpg

I built a lid to keep the birds and kids out and it was done. The drain pipe around the inside of the shed goes into the pond and then I just run a big pump on a garden hose and sprinkler to water the yard during water changes. We’ve all put a lot of water down the drain but now I can run the tap flat out without feeling guilty.

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg
 

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
21,382
21,654
1,660
Ohio
While the shed build was going on I was also working on an outside pond. When we bought the house it already had a small pond over grown with plants and surrounded by rocks full of spiders. There were a couple of decent sized koi in there and I already had a few in 1 of my tanks, they all went into an IBC temporarily while I sorted out the pond. The first step was to clear the existing pond, rocks and plants then find a pond the right size and at the right price.

View attachment 1482526

View attachment 1482527

I ended up with a pond approx. 2m x 1m x 800mm and started digging. It took a bit of time to get it level but it ended up being pretty good. The long sides bowed in when I started to fill the sand around it so I had to dig it out and fill it with water before slowly filling the sand in again.

View attachment 1482528

View attachment 1482529

I wanted it to have plants in the filter because I was dumping all my old tank water into it. The pond pump goes up to a bin full of sponge then into 2 pots full of clay balls and some Monestera. They have already grown a lot and are keeping the nitrates down. Around the pond I planted some Philodendrons and some Liriope evergreen giants. The Philodendrons aren’t getting enough water at the moment and the soil was pretty average they went into so they are struggling.

View attachment 1482530

View attachment 1482531

I built a lid to keep the birds and kids out and it was done. The drain pipe around the inside of the shed goes into the pond and then I just run a big pump on a garden hose and sprinkler to water the yard during water changes. We’ve all put a lot of water down the drain but now I can run the tap flat out without feeling guilty.

View attachment 1482532

View attachment 1482533

View attachment 1482534
Nice.
 

dogofwar

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
4,990
798
150
48
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
That shed cries out for spray foam insulation.

We converted our 2 car block garage to a fishroom. Added skylights, ample insulation, greenboard walls and good-quality windows. Have a split-unit AC/heater for climate control and an exhaust fan, a dehumidifier and large circulation fans for climate and humidity control.
 
  • Like
Reactions: deeda

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
36
60
51
Australia
quick tank update, my pond has grown a heap since planting out and ive had to puppy proof my monstera.
i've got a new QT tank running with some corys in it and some longfin bristlenose.
i'm in the process of striping the white paint off my 10ft and going to paint it light blue to get rid of the green colour. my camera picks up the blue lights when i take close photos but the tank looks green except for straight after a water change.
my 6ft stack is going well.
and lastly im in the process of setting up a new rack of 4ft tanks, when the sump is finished i'll plumb it all up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
 
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store