75 gallon stock w/ delhezi

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
I have a 75 gallon aquarium with a delhezi, and a silver dollar. I am going to put down my favorite fish so that you guys can refine it.

-Elephant Nose
-Roseline Barbs
-Ropefish
-Severums
-African Butterfly
-Some sort of knifefish
- Catfish (hoplo, Pictus, stuff like that)

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Wish I could help, Im in the same boat. Funny I just got a 75 and I been thinking of adding pretty much exactly what you mentioned ha ha. Hope someone with more expeiecne chimes in as I never had any of those listed fish yet besides Pictus cats.

For stock we have similar taste, so this is what im thinking.

3 Butterflyfish (Should get floating plants, unsure if its a must or not or might even grow pothos plants on top so the roots can give them shelter)
2 Severums (Bright Red Pair) or another kind of center piece fish
2 Delhezi or 2 Senegals (I read Delhezi gets little bigger, but more laid back compared to senegals that are more active, and stay smaller)
5-6 Cory Catfish (if I can find some small enough yet big enough to not fall prey to the Bichirs) OR 2-3 Pictus Cats or a cat of more color
Catfish I been thinking of corey catfish, but unsure which ones would be small enough to have 5-6 of them yet big enough to not get eaten by the Bichirs.

I think this is pretty much maxed out for me, maybeI might add some smaller dither fish just to keep the middle of the tank more busy. I really wanted to add elephant nose fish (which is technically a type of knifefish if not mistaken), but I think bottom of the tank is getting to crowded already. Also I hear mixed opinions on if elephant nose should be housed alone or in a group. Alone maybe I could take that chance but unsure.

Good luck, if you have set up your tank already let me know what you stocked with it for ideas.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wish I could help, Im in the same boat. Funny I just got a 75 and I been thinking of adding pretty much exactly what you mentioned ha ha. Hope someone with more expeiecne chimes in as I never had any of those listed fish yet besides Pictus cats.

For stock we have similar taste, so this is what im thinking.

3 Butterflyfish (Should get floating plants, unsure if its a must or not or might even grow pothos plants on top so the roots can give them shelter)
2 Severums (Bright Red Pair) or another kind of center piece fish
2 Delhezi or 2 Senegals (I read Delhezi gets little bigger, but more laid back compared to senegals that are more active, and stay smaller)
5-6 Cory Catfish (if I can find some small enough yet big enough to not fall prey to the Bichirs) OR 2-3 Pictus Cats or a cat of more color
Catfish I been thinking of corey catfish, but unsure which ones would be small enough to have 5-6 of them yet big enough to not get eaten by the Bichirs.

I think this is pretty much maxed out for me, maybeI might add some smaller dither fish just to keep the middle of the tank more busy. I really wanted to add elephant nose fish (which is technically a type of knifefish if not mistaken), but I think bottom of the tank is getting to crowded already. Also I hear mixed opinions on if elephant nose should be housed alone or in a group. Alone maybe I could take that chance but unsure.

Good luck, if you have set up your tank already let me know what you stocked with it for ideas.
The issue I see with the OP stock list is feeding. The elephant nose should not be added .

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Well you should be fine with a couple severums, roseline barbs and a few pictus cats I can answer from experience, the others I haven't kept before but sound like cool additions. I suggest getting your main centerpiece like the severums if thats your goal, and maybe a couple bottom dwellers and a some higher level swimmers like the roselines or the butterfly fish, then wait a couple months and see how the activity and interactions go, then slowly picking and adding others from your list. You may decide it's full enough before you complete your list, and may find feeding or competition for the same areas of the tank will change your mind on some fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store