75 gallon wet/dry sump (freshwater)

Qotsa

Gambusia
May 26, 2012
Hilton Head, SC
Looking for some DIY (with pictures..) on a 75 gallon wet/dry sump. can’t seem to find where someone goes into detail on the baffles sizing and placement. The videos all show you end product running. Need something super clean looking as the sump and all plumbing will be exposed. Not looking for cut up 5 gallon buckets :(

thanks in advance!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used 75 gal tanks as sumps for decades.
I don't see the need for baffles at all.
I use filter socks for mechanical filtration, put bio-media in mesh bags, and substrate in containers to jump start other tanks.
The pump, heaters, and other stuff just lay around in the bottom, of the sump.
I have also used 50 gallon barrels as sumps, they ca be whatever you want them to be, the simpler and easier to pull maintenance on, and adjust to evolution as an aquarist the better.
I first went the baffle route because that's what was the trend, but I found baffles limited space, and for experimenting with new ideas, and got in the way when doing maintanece.
,1605986810763.png
Above is a 75 gal tank as a sump where I added a bio tower,fractionation unit..
below same sump, with heater, containers of substrate and other paraphernalia.
1605986970994.png
below biomedia in mesh bags (very easy to remove and clean)
1605987056963.png
filter socks hanging in the sump for mechanical filtration.
1605987118714.png

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I used to run an open sump as well. I used a rubbermaid tub to contain bio balls and suspended it off the bottom with a pvc stand, and used the bottom portion cut off of a second tub with holes drilled in it to create a self contained wet/dry shower setup. The bulkhead gravity drained into the wet/dry, and a submersible pump tee'd off into dual return lines. No modification of the sump tank required. In fact that same sump tank is now being used as planted display tank setup years later. Doing it this way leaves tons of room to add things to your sump. The only reason I'd feel the need for baffles is in a saltwater refugium setup like I used to have from CPR aquatic. Where the equipment and skimmer are isolated from an empty center section to be used as a refugium.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store