75 Mbuna first time...

FreeMak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
VA
Hey all, just got back into this after a 10 year break. First time with Mbuna or any African cichlid. I have had discus and Americans in the past, totally different ballpark for sure!
I feel as though I have made some stocking errors, I know for a fact I have. But as it stands now, there is no extreme aggression. The males have several females, all on the same diet (I guess thats a plus) Figure I'd give it time and sort them out. Anyways, here is my tank. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions soon.

20200729_200424.jpg

20200729_200349.jpg

20200729_200340.jpg

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Welcome back! Tank looks incredible I love all the spider wood and driftwood. Now the fish next to it have a even better view?

Reactions: FreeMak

FreeMak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
VA
LOL thank you! I know driftwood isn't really big with Mbuna ( as well as the possibility of lowering the PH, I have it at 8 with the wood) but I like it and they hang around it all day picking at it. Found plants they won't eat too lol!

Reactions: tlindsey

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
LOL thank you! I know driftwood isn't really big with Mbuna ( as well as the possibility of lowering the PH, I have it at 8 with the wood) but I like it and they hang around it all day picking at it. Found plNts they won't eat too lol!
There’s one thing I think would make it a lot better.....a bottom dweller. That’s totally your choice but I think a pleco or some sort of other catfish would be awesome. A rare exotic one is the tatias musica, they’re a recently discovered wood cat and very cool looking

FreeMak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
VA
There’s one thing I think would make it a lot better.....a bottom dweller. That’s totally your choice but I think a pleco or some sort of other catfish would be awesome. A rare exotic one is the tatias musica, they’re a recently discovered wood cat and very cool looking

I've considered it, still looking for the right kind. As of now the yellow labs like to pick at the bottom. They oddly have been my cleanup crew. Just a little worried about the tank being too crowded, did the overstock, but I think I have more rock/wood than most who do that.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
I have a trio of albino bristlenose in my african tank, keep the glass and plants algae free.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Mbuna are omnivores and love picking at algae and plants. For the most part you shouldn't need any type of algae eater. I didn't in my mbuna tank years ago they grazed the rocks and pretty much kept the substrate clean. Looks like you may have done the same thing I did when young, put a couple that are on the super aggressive side in with ones that aren't so aggressive. Once I got the "bad apples" out I had lots of breeding and a plentiful supply of babies to sell/trade. I didn't get much hybridization but be aware that can happen. Kind of looks like you may have a hybrid in there already actually. Hard to tell from the pics for sure.
Welcome.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all, just got back into this after a 10 year break. First time with Mbuna or any African cichlid. I have had discus and Americans in the past, totally different ballpark for sure!
I feel as though I have made some stocking errors, I know for a fact I have. But as it stands now, there is no extreme aggression. The males have several females, all on the same diet (I guess thats a plus) Figure I'd give it time and sort them out. Anyways, here is my tank. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions soon.

View attachment 1426827

View attachment 1426828

View attachment 1426829
Welcome aboard

FreeMak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
VA
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping some of the more aggressive mbuna in here only torment each other and not the rest of the tank lol. I know once they mature all bets are off!

The 4 female auratus worry me to no end. But as of now they stay bothering each other. I know I have no males thankfully.

I have 1 male Kennyi male and 4 female that worry me too. From what I read the male should be busy with the females enough to leave the rest alone. Again I hope it plays out this way!

FreeMak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
VA
Oh my stock list, forgot to add this to the first post.

4 female Auratus

1 male Kennyi
4 female Kennyi

2 male Maingano
3 female Maingano

2 male OB Zebra
2 female OB Zebra

3 female White Top Afra
2 male White Top Afra

1 Williams Mbuna (the other 4 died due to fungus/bacteria infection)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store