80 Gallon Filteration?

DuckHole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Im setting up an 80 gallon for a large cichlid, and was wondering if a single xp3 would be enough filteration? Would you recomend powerheads or airstones? Ide rather not include either of those, but I will if needed. I have a couple HOB filters laying around aswell, again if its needed. Basically i want a super clean looking setup and was wondering if the cannister can do the trick? :confused:

Thanks Adam

DuckHole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Well its not to terribly big im planning on a haitian. So powerheads or airstones shouldnt be needed? The HOBs would be insurance or necessary?

soulfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
DBLOK
as long as you keep up with water changes you won't need any other filters. but if you have extras you might as well throw them on. powerheads and airstones arent needed.

wickedglass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
australia
the rena xp3 should be enough to do that tank as long as you're careful to not overpopulate, etc. also airstones shouldn't be necessary if you keep the water rolling over nicely

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I would include either an air stone or a HOB filter because the XP3 doesnt provide much surface agitation or areation.

DuckHole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Ok guys thanks for input i guess Ill just add on one of the HOBs for some water breakage and call it a day. To bad cuz i wanted to put the tank flush on a wall. I would use the air stones but they never stay in place for me. Do any of you got recomendations of something like airstones that cichlids cant mess with, and stay in place?

soulfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
DBLOK
you could always just put the spray bar right at the top of the water level. it will provide plenty of aggitation. if you really feel the need to use an airstone then just bury it in the gravel and put a rock on top of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store