80 Gallon Stock

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hello everyone. I have a friend who asked about this stock. What do you guy's think? Thank you.

1. 3 Needlenose Gars
  2. 1 Yellow Tail Barracuda
  3. 2 Parrots
  4. 1 Gold Severum
  5. 1 Turquoise Serevum
  6. 4 Bichirs
  7. 2 Iridescent Sharks
  8. 2 Gold Clown Knives

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
so im European so I do everything in liters. So 80 gallon is around 350liters. So I take that its a tank thats 1,2meter long or something like that.

I wouldn't keep needle nose gars if I was you. They are hard to keep, need a bigger tank and they only eat live food and they are hard to get and their water needs to be in a good condition.

Yellowtail barracuda gets to big.. so thats a no

Gold Severum... I would recommend to keep them in Pairs.

Bichirs get way to big. Thats a no go

Iridescent Sharks ? eehm... ur friend will need a really big pool. Probably as big as a small house.

Gold Clown Knives get to big aswell. they get around the size of the tank itself. So thats not possible.

So to sum up. I would do something like this:
-2 severos hero's m/female
-group of smaller American fish.
-maybe some Cory's or ancistrus

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
so im European so I do everything in liters. So 80 gallon is around 350liters. So I take that its a tank thats 1,2meter long or something like that.

I wouldn't keep needle nose gars if I was you. They are hard to keep, need a bigger tank and they only eat live food and they are hard to get and their water needs to be in a good condition.

Yellowtail barracuda gets to big.. so thats a no

Gold Severum... I would recommend to keep them in Pairs.

Bichirs get way to big. Thats a no go

Iridescent Sharks ? eehm... ur friend will need a really big pool. Probably as big as a small house.

Gold Clown Knives get to big aswell. they get around the size of the tank itself. So thats not possible.

So to sum up. I would do something like this:
-2 severos hero's m/female
-group of smaller American fish.
-maybe some Cory's or ancistrus

I agree with neko1 neko1 .

Reactions: neko1

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think your friend is severely overestimating how much bioload an 80 gallon can handle. The list has way too many fish, and fish which grow too large for the tank.
Clown knives and iridescent sharks, will both grow 3 & 6 feet long respectively, definitely can't live in an 80 gallon.
The bichirs, if they are smaller species like senegalus will be okay, but there are many species which grow too large, so would just advise to stick with smaller species.
Something like this would be more realistic.
1 severum
2 parrots
1 Senegal bichir
May be hard to explain this to your friend if they think their previous list was approporiate. But yeah, long term a tank like they want would not work. Likely would end up with very dirty water, and fish which are not healthy.

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I think your friend is severely overestimating how much bioload an 80 gallon can handle. The list has way too many fish, and fish which grow too large for the tank.
Clown knives and iridescent sharks, will both grow 3 & 6 feet long respectively, definitely can't live in an 80 gallon.
The bichirs, if they are smaller species like senegalus will be okay, but there are many species which grow too large, so would just advise to stick with smaller species.
1 severum
2 parrots
1 Senegal bichir
May be hard to explain this to your friend if they think their previous list was approporiate. But yeah, long term a tank like they want would not work. Likely would end up with very dirty water, and fish which are not healthy.
Thanks so much for your help. I knew you guy's would know what would work.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
1 severum
2 parrots
1 Senegal bichir
I really dont think that anyone should keep bichirs in 80gallon. The smallest bichirs are already 1/4 of the total tank size. And those guys are pretty active for bichirs.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I really dont think that anyone should keep bichirs in 80gallon. The smallest bichirs are already 1/4 of the total tank size. And those guys are pretty active for bichirs.
I kept a Senegal in a 90g and felt it was OK. Bigger is always better. And you may disagree of course. But since she listed bichirs, IMO a senegal should be alright in an 80.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My rule of thumb for an 80 gallon tank, is nothing that gets over 8", and then then maybe only 2 or 3 fish that size, and maybe some 3-4 "dithers.
And with that stock, a large 40-50% water change every 3 days, and extra heavy filtration.
An 80 gal is really only about the size of a truck rut in the road.

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I wrote to my friend but haven't heard back from her. Hopefully she will change her stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store