90 Gallon Step by Step Basic Reef Setup

rocketgypsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Los Angeles
I've got an empty 75 gal tank to try this method on: no sump, no fuge, no skimmer.

Will use a lot of rock, sand and flow, minimal live-stock, and patience.

Would be great if it works.

dat673

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Washington, DC
Should place rocks in first than sand so they don't collapse. When fish dig they'll hit bottom and rocks will not come down. I had a eel that's why I did it that way

RATEDRSUPERFAN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
wisconsin
I thought i would do this reef step-by-step guide for people who are just starting up in the marine world. The sizes of equiptment may differ, but the principles are still the same. A quick run down of the equiptment used for this reef system.
  • 48 x 24 x 18 All Glass Aquarium
  • Aragonite 1.0 - 2.0 grade reef sand
  • 25Kg ( 55lbs ) Ocean rock as base rock
  • 30Kg ( 66lbs ) Mixture of Indo and Fiji live rock
  • 2 x 5000 litres per hour powerheads
  • 2 x 150w heaters
  • 2 x 150w Metal Halide pendant
  • Glass internal thermometer
  • Refractometer
  • API Test kit for Ammonia, pH, Nitrite and Nitrate
  • Salifert kits for Calcium, Alk, Mag and Phosphate
  • Black Background
Notes on equiptment choices

Sand - I have chosen the larger particle sand with this reef as the tank is going to be housing sand burrowing creature like jawfish and pistol shrimp.

Lighting - Decided to go for the 150w lighting this time, as i dont intend to house any real heavy light intensive inhabitants for the forseable future.

Background - Between the usual choices of blue and black, i chose black as i think that black really makes the colour of the inhabitants stand out, and i also feel black aids in giving the tank depth.

Live Rock - I have chosen a mixture of the two common types of live rock to hopefully aid in adding some diversity to the system as a whole.

is it pretty much the same for 75 as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store