May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wunderbar:popcorn:

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
So im kinda stressin about this sealant and conflicted on what i should do now. Basically i had planned to use dow 795 and had it all lined up that the glass supplier would bring it with the delivery as he said no problem "we have lots". Well hours before delivery he decides to tell me he doesnt have any dow795. So with help on the way to install the glass i have to scramble to find an alternative. I remember reading of people using 3m 5200 so i quickly grab some at a local marine supply store. Now on further reading i see its not recommended for use on glass without mechanical fasteners and i cant even find examples of anyone using it on aquariums (where did i read this was used for this??). Theres no getting the glass off now and even the overpour is really tough to scrape off the glass..so why is it not recommended for glass? Do i order some dow 795 and just caulk a bead all around the perimeter of the glass? Has anyone got any suggestions?

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
So im kinda stressin about this sealant and conflicted on what i should do now. Basically i had planned to use dow 795 and had it all lined up that the glass supplier would bring it with the delivery as he said no problem "we have lots". Well hours before delivery he decides to tell me he doesnt have any dow795. So with help on the way to install the glass i have to scramble to find an alternative. I remember reading of people using 3m 5200 so i quickly grab some at a local marine supply store. Now on further reading i see its not recommended for use on glass without mechanical fasteners and i cant even find examples of anyone using it on aquariums (where did i read this was used for this??). Theres no getting the glass off now and even the overpour is really tough to scrape off the glass..so why is it not recommended for glass? Do i order some dow 795 and just caulk a bead all around the perimeter of the glass? Has anyone got any suggestions?
It seems the problem with 5200 is the fact it's a one time deal... once it's on... it's never coming off.. so if your seal isnt perfect and you have a leak you cannot redo the seal.. will probably end up wrecking whatever its applied to... the seal itself though if done right and you dont have a leak then it may be better than anything else you could use ?

Screenshot_20200531-072729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Oh and by the way that was a boat forum... no problem using it for glass but again it's not a seal you can redo very easily if you botched the seal in the first place... if your tank holds water with no leaks it's probably good to go

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
Oh and by the way that was a boat forum... no problem using it for glass but again it's not a seal you can redo very easily if you botched the seal in the first place... if your tank holds water with no leaks it's probably good to go
It seems like its really stuck to the glass...i just cant get passed the "not recommended for use on glass without mechanical fasteners"... Why??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store