900 gallon plywood shark tank build

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
So comparing that picture of the seal to what it looks like now ive noticed it has gotten slightly worse... Im afraid if i try to remove the glass ill damage it. So im thinking about using some sort of mechanical method to at least hold it in place. Im open to suggestions..one idea i have is to find some strong waterproof material to build a frame the outside dimension on the glass. Then coat with silicone and push it on to the glass. Once that cures i secure the frame to the existing tank wall with fiberglass. It would be a major set back but i cannot risk this glass falling and breaking inside my tank.

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc
Well i took a hiatus from posting to deal with some issues. I ended up adding an frp frame around the glass window and siliconing that in with dow 795. Then my first test found all the threads on my bulkheads leaked so i replaced all the teflon tape on my pvc male adapters with silicone (im a plumber and would never do this at work...but it worked!). Then my overflow boxes leaked and it took me weeks to figure out where exactly the leak was coming from. Now its finally on test with no obvious leaks (will remain on test for a week to be sure). I also did my aquascape while i was waiting for silicone to cure.IMG_20200802_201255.jpg

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Looks really good. Where did you get this frp frame? Do you have a link? Looking to build a frame around the acrylic panel of plywood aquarium and planned to use plywood but your idea of a frp flame has me intrigued.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Sorry this is a bit too late to assist you but it may help others.

These air gaps occur when you push the glass too hard against the wall. When you release the pressure the glass pulls back creating air pockets. It's an easy mistake for the inexperienced. What would have been better is to use several 2mm thick spacers so your glass can't get too close. Thicker silicon also seals better than thin when the tank is full as water pressure pushes the glass agsinst the wall similar to a gasket.

With Dow 795 being neutral cure, you can apply more silicon to the curing silicon the next day (even though the surface has skinned) and still get good adherance unlike acetic cure. So if you use long protruding shims like cable tie for example, you can pull them out 24 hours later and fill the gaps with more 795 to make it neater. Or use small size shims like silicon buttons and leave them calked in forever.
Also this is what the seal looks like. Full of pockets like this where it looks like the sealant isnt touching the glass. I dont know why this happened because we piled the stuff on then compressed it with the bracing until it spilled out the sides in some spots. I will still follow up with the dow around the perimeter but pretty pissed off about this whole situation. I should have told them to turn around and come back when they have my silicone.

View attachment 1420192

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Well i took a hiatus from posting to deal with some issues. I ended up adding an frp frame around the glass window and siliconing that in with dow 795. Then my first test found all the threads on my bulkheads leaked so i replaced all the teflon tape on my pvc male adapters with silicone (im a plumber and would never do this at work...but it worked!). Then my overflow boxes leaked and it took me weeks to figure out where exactly the leak was coming from. Now its finally on test with no obvious leaks (will remain on test for a week to be sure). I also did my aquascape while i was waiting for silicone to cure.View attachment 1427335
man that is looking real good man, love the blue on the back wall gives the illusion of depth just like the ocean. the scape is fantastic too.
glad you got all the leaks taking care of.

hope the leak test goes great for you! best of luck bud!

Reactions: dingodan

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc

These air gaps occur when you push the glass too hard against the wall. When you release the pressure the glass pulls back creating air pockets. It's an easy mistake for the inexperienced. What would have been better is to use several 2mm thick spacers so your glass can't get too close. Thicker silicon also seals better than thin when the tank is full as water pressure pushes the glass agsinst the wall similar to a gasket.

With Dow 795 being neutral cure, you can apply more silicon to the curing silicon the next day (even though the surface has skinned) and still get good adherance unlike acetic cure. So if you use long protruding shims like cable tie for example, you can pull them out 24 hours later and fill the gaps with more 795 to make it neater. Or use small size shims like silicon buttons and leave them calked in forever.
I actually did use spacers between the glass and wall but what you are saying makes sense and i may have pulled my bracing off too soon. I also read that 5200 has "inconsistent adhesion" to glass which is exactly what i experienced.

dingodan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
vancouver bc

The silicon buttons are exactly what i used too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store