95 Clown Loaches in massive tank.

12fishy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Hi all it’s been a while since my last post. I’ve moved house so been preoccupied. Ive changes the layout of the tank and changed the substrate, I’ve gone from just sand to large pebbles and sand. Fish are happy with it, I was worried as I’ve never seen it done before. A bit about the tank, its 6x3x2.75 feet (350 gallon, 1300 litres) on a home made timber stand. It has
Low tech filtration - 2 x Odyssea 700 canister filters with modified media. I do a 80% water change once a week to get rid of Bio load. Total fish in tank is 140-150.
See YouTube video

7D245315-42AB-48E2-825B-4D0A12AA30AF.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all it’s been a while since my last post. I’ve moved house so been preoccupied. Ive changes the layout of the tank and changed the substrate, I’ve gone from just sand to large pebbles and sand. Fish are happy with it, I was worried as I’ve never seen it done before. A bit about the tank, its 6x3x2.75 feet (350 gallon, 1300 litres) on a home made timber stand. It has
Low tech filtration - 2 x Odyssea 700 canister filters with modified media. I do a 80% water change once a week to get rid of Bio load. Total fish in tank is 140-150.
See YouTube video

View attachment 1376862

Great group of Clown Loaches you have.

Reactions: LBDave and 12fishy

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Great looking clowns, been following you on Insta for a while now. How do you ind the new substrate with regards to keeping it clean? Are the fish able to get in between all the pebbles and clean up the bits of food?

Reactions: LBDave and 12fishy

12fishy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Great looking clowns, been following you on Insta for a while now. How do you ind the new substrate with regards to keeping it clean? Are the fish able to get in between all the pebbles and clean up the bits of food?
Cheers David,
I’ll be honest I do nothing to keep the new substrate clean. Lol. The only thing I do is go over it with the siphoning hose when I do my water change. I keep the food towards the front of the tank where the pebbles are only one layer thick with some double layered bits.

The fish have no problem getting the pellets that fall down. The large CL’s actually pick up the pebbles and flick them to the side (trying to get footage of that)
It’s amazing they can do this as the pebbles are 3cm in diameter. The only problem with these 3cm pebbles is that you need a beach of sand for some fish, it slowly disappears under the pebbles.
I love it tho.
Cheers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I honestly don't get tanks like this. In a few short years the majority of these fish will need to be farmed out, or the loaches will become like sardines in a tin. I get that it's a 350, but even in a 125 within 5 years I had to start to ponder where I would rehome my group of 15 CL's. 95 in a 350?

And why are we redirected to youtube to watch this video?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store