a filter that keeps everyone happy

GBaker1130

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2018
South Central USA
so my parents recently bought a 75 gallon tank for me for my birthday. we just redid the floors and my mom is worried about 75 gallon being on her new floors. my dad doesn't want me using a canister filter because it may leak without us knowing for awhile and he suggests an undergravel. I was planning on having a sand tank because of the looks and I know that an undergravel wouldn't work. he is also opposed to HOB for some reason. the tank will probably have a couple messy fish in it and I was curious if anyone had any suggestions

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Since you can’t have much without a scare for leaks. Then a undergravel filter will be fine. Keep up ur water changes and shouldn’t have to worry.

The other option is sponge filters but ur dad may not approve but can ask.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Since you can’t have much without a scare for leaks. Then a undergravel filter will be fine. Keep up ur water changes and shouldn’t have to worry.

The other option is sponge filters but ur dad may not approve but can ask.
+1

Reactions: kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What kinds of fish do you intend to keep?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
There is a risk of water on the floor regardless of the hardware. Even if you use check valves on air lines, situations can arise where they can siphon water out of the tank. Rare, but it can happen.

I would agree that the use of canister filters definitely increases the chances of leaks.

I would personally run 2 AquaClear 110 hang-on-backs. Chances of them leaking externally is about as rare as air tubing siphoning out water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There is a risk of water on the floor regardless of the hardware. Even if you use check valves on air lines, situations can arise where they can siphon water out of the tank. Rare, but it can happen.

I would agree that the use of canister filters definitely increases the chances of leaks.

I would personally run 2 AquaClear 110 hang-on-backs. Chances of them leaking externally is about as rare as air tubing siphoning out water.
I agree with you but it's out of G GBaker1130 control. His father is opposed to HOB filters.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
a undergravel filter will be fine. Keep up ur water changes and shouldn’t have to worry.
Hello; back a few decades ago all I had were UGF's (undergravel filters). I ran tanks with them for a decade or so before I started to use HOB's and other power filters. The early power filters were not reliable so I almost always had an UGF running.
Old school it may be but it still works. Glass is old school as well but we still use it because it still works.

A key is the regular water change (WC) which involves a gravel vac of some sort. Sponge filter also work.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Ask your parents if an overhead trickle filter would be ok. I'm thinking to make a DIY version for a new 84" tank I have coming in. Arguably on the unsightly side, but I'm sure it could be at least partially covered or blocked by black future board or similar.

4ft-3level-cl-trickle.jpg

Last edited:

Tarsun

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2018
a sponge filter

the square corner filters that used to be in every fish store tank (my second vote)

Under gravel filter

power head with a mini can inside the tank (my vote)

a combination of the above...

you still have some "leak proof" options...

what about a can filter in a bucket to catch any leaks...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store