A Fish's Miracle Tale

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I just had to share this.

A little over a week ago my husband's brother had a major house fire. The whole front and top of the house was lost, to include just about everything in it. They managed to get out and also rescued their 2 cockatiels & 2 black labradors.

In one of the bedrooms they have a 20 gal tank with one fancy koi and a pleco in it. Of course the tank couldn't be moved and with the fire as bad as it was there was no time to try to figure a way to rescue the fish. They thought for sure Goober would be dead (with all of the fire, smoke, no electric for the pump, filter, etc.) by the next morning when they could go in and assess.

When they went in the glass on the tank was black, the filter was melted to the top and back of the tank, everything was burned around the tank.

They pried the lid off and there was Goober and the Pleco swimming around close to the top of the water.

We gave them our battery operated aerator. Goober and the pleco lived in a cooler with the aerator for 3 days!

They are now quite happy swimming in a brand new 30 gal!!

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
That is a good story. Surprised they didn't get boiled. Sounds like things could have been a lot worse.

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
wow, amazing, they are really reborn, all of them.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Surprised they didn't get boiled, and that they tank stand didn't burn. happy to hear that everybody is ok.

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Yeah, I figured when they went into the room the glass on the tank would have been shattered and the fish would be in the floor somewhere. And no signs of disease from their stressful ordeal!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Shocking story. Glad to hear they made it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store