A foreign experience

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
Hey guys during the summer of 2016 I was in Beijing China we stayed in a hotel and it had an amazing indoor koi pond which I estimate from my memory was 10 feet wide by 7 feet long and filled 1 foot deep. In the pond there housed at least 20 koi/goldfish. 3 large golden koi around 10 inches and some normal ones There were also several goldfish no fancies all normal single tail varieties a shubinkin with really long fins some black ones and the normal feeder fish looking ones just bigger. none of these fish were very small at least 5 inches or larger up to 1 foot give or take. Here is where things get interesting there's no drainage system from what i could tell so water changes probably weren't a common occurrence there was a tube that was dripping water into the pond at a rate of abut a drip a minute. The filter system is what blew my mind it was a little grated plastic container 1 foot by 6 inches with 1 layer of polyester fiber 1/4th inch thick, and it was powered by a pump which from what i could see was one of those cheap 80 gallon per hour pumps I could have been bigger but a small pump is what i remember and this is the crazy part i realized the pump was shut off at night! as the next morning the pump was not running and the polyester was dry. there were no live plants from what i could see not much algae so nothing was absorbing waste. I could be wrong and theres a hidden drain some where but I doubt it even if there was it would only drain at the rate of which water was being dripped into the pond or else it would either over fill eventually or dry up.

I have a few more stories of fish from when I was in china this summer.

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
I also dont know the feeding schedules of these fish but there were most certainly not underfed they where all nice and plump and gathered to a little bridge you have to walk over to get into the hotel area and out of the mail lobby so either they were getting food from stuff the guests would feed them or the hotel actively feeds them.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I'm not sure about china, but I know Japan has some interesting ways of keep koi and goldfish. Mainly because space for them is so limited. They over stock like crazy but they also filter accordingly.

Was the water clear? Or murky?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Perhaps at some point during closing time, they would do w/c. Maybe something simple such as a utility pump to suck out half the water and replaced with new water via a hose.

It would be interesting to get a water sample and check the parameters.

Reactions: tlindsey

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
Perhaps at some point during closing time, they would do w/c. Maybe something simple such as a utility pump to suck out half the water and replaced with new water via a hose.

It would be interesting to get a water sample and check the parameters.
There was no signs of fin rot so ammonia probably wasnt too bad

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
I'm not sure about china, but I know Japan has some interesting ways of keep koi and goldfish. Mainly because space for them is so limited. They over stock like crazy but they also filter accordingly.

Was the water clear? Or murky?
the water was crystal clear no algae no murky sediments the filter was essentially nothing in this pond

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hmmm, maybe they do maintenance at night like suggested or they found a way to make limited filtration work.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah, it would be interesting to see how they maintain it. Being indoors I can see it having advantages but also disadvantages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store