A general comment on the "hot dog" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Yeah, Australian nature laws are pretty tough, but they are tough for a reason so i dont mind giving up certain luxuries regarding fish keeping for better overall quality of life ;)
I agree with that. In Dubai there is no real chance of releasing fish and effecting "wild fish" here haha. There are none.

Although that being said, Dubai is constantly developing and has a vision to be green by 2030. There is a lot of vegetation and trees that have been planted and are growing through out the years, as well as cloud seeding where it rains a lot more than you would think now.
There are man made lakes and such that have been built in the desert and around the cities. I happen to stay close to some, and drove around one a couple of months back (these are not small lakes haha). I was very surprised to see fish in them. Although originally made for the birds and the "forest" they are growing around it, it was full of all sorts of aquarium fish that people seemed to have let go in them. I saw Koi, gold fish, African cichlids and SA/CA cichlids. There was also schools of smaller fish I could not identify. The amount of hybrid cichlids in there easily out numbered all the others. Making me think they had been mixed in there for a while. I saw some that had fry with them too. What is interesting is the temperature ranges these guys survive in, Winter (air temps) during the day about 26 C. At night 19 C. Summer (air temps) day, average about 45 C, and at night 33 C. The oceans gets to about 33 C here in summer, so Im guessing these lakes must reach high 30s.

I have not checked out the lakes in mid summer yet, I was thinking of document these fish and lakes and making a thread about it at some point.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So where in Australia are you thinking of settling?
Good ol’ Melbourne, since i fit that scene more than sydney and not really into the surf life of GC :p

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Didn't get a chance to post my comment since the thread got locked before I could do so. Only thing I can think of is reading on another forum about a guy who fed some to his Oscar but stopped because the Oscar got temporary bloat and constipation. Took about two days to clear up. I think the salt/fat content/corn filler aspect is the main issue (also nitrates in some brands I believe). Like swallowing a blob of fat and spoon of salt for dinner.

Crazier still there's a YouTube video of a guy with a HUGE oscar, feeding him a Cheeto!!! That O has to be either 3 or more inches thick.

All the other nonsense I read about hot dogs was comedy gold. Just sayin.' Some fisheries and fishermen use a 'bread paste' mixture where they make it into balls to feed fish. Not sure about the nutrition level, though. You could probably grind pellets into the dough I would guess.

Not much of a hot dog eater myself, I get a taste for them once in a while. Mostly during the summer at cookouts/barbeques. I like the kosher style ones best. The Parks "plump when you cook 'em" are great, too. Actually like half smokes better.

See? Talking about hot dogs can be painless. :cool-1:
Grea
Aw

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
What I can't figure is, why blueberries with hot dogs as opposed to cherries or bananas? Because my O Brick loves bananas!!! He'd gulp a whole one if I let him. :grinno:

Plus, aren't Pacu's more of a "cantaloupe" fish? People need to get their fruit straight! :headbang2
Hot Dogs and Bananas.---Protein and Fruits and Vegetables--major food groups. Balanced Diet FINWIN FINWIN ?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
As the hot dog thread got out of hand and there should not have been a continuation of the thread.

Reactions: kno4te
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store