A little bragging

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I know it's a small specimen and not even the healthiest at the moment. Let me tell you the story...

I got a call that the aqua shop I had put the order in for a gator gar at did not get one when expected due to no longer being in stock. The next day I received several calls and finally answered the last call. They got one!

I rush over to see if this thing is legit. I get there and get to see it... It's covered in a fungus or something and it's very skinny. So the shop owner apologizes and said he didn't unpack it. He offered it to me at cost. I gladly obliged and bought melafix as well. I began a quarantined treatment for a week. Day 2 he is eating and being more active.

Last day of the treatment I decided to put him in the fully cycled tank with his Florida gar and bowfin tank mates. Under proper lighting he is the most beautiful olive green with some irredescents to it. I'm so proud of this fish recovery and how well he pulled through the poor care it was in.

The aquarium has since been cleaned up a bit but I try not to disturb the fish too much. Soon he will be going outdoors once large enough to a nice large hand built pond with waterfall and all.

Adding photo below

Reactions: tlindsey

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Great job getting the Gator gar healthy.

Thank you. I certainly was proud to see it just casually pull through and begin feeding. It seemed to have difficulty swallowing some pieces of any size larger than a pea but it appears to be over that now. I'm going to inquire on where to locally get these Sprattus I've read about as I don't much want to thaw the shad I have in the freezer. They smell so bad lol.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store