A wild and crazy question...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Has anyone ever placed two tank stands side by side for an odd sized longer tank, or as a less expensive alternative? Assuming you could adapt it (like removing frame caps to get rid of gaps) or covering it all with 3/4" to 1" board to make something like that work? Structure wise there would be no areas for sagging since the frames would be bolstered with extra legs and cross bracing.

Example: a 12' tank with 3 4' stands.

Yeah crazy, I know. Just an idea.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not crazy at all. As long as the two stands are equally well built and everything's true and level you should be good to go. Throwing a length of ply across the two would help as well. The aesthetics might not be to everyone's taste but who cares. It'll save yourself some time and money building a new stand too.

Reactions: tlindsey

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Has anyone ever placed two tank stands side by side for an odd sized longer tank, or as a less expensive alternative? Assuming you could adapt it (like removing frame caps to get rid of gaps) or covering it all with 3/4" to 1" board to make something like that work? Structure wise there would be no areas for sagging since the frames would be bolstered with extra legs and cross bracing.

Example: a 12' tank with 3 4' stands.

Yeah crazy, I know. Just an idea.
yea why not i agree with the other post. if you tie them together with some plywood on the top also if it is a much bigger tank it cant hurt to put a few more braces on the stand.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For a tank I made for a client, the stand fabricator made the stand in two separate pieces to fit in the house. There were two 96x24x36” tall pieces that bolted together to create the 48” width.

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
For a tank I made for a client, the stand fabricator made the stand in two separate pieces to fit in the house. There were two 96x24x36” tall pieces that bolted together to create the 48” width.
Wow, cool. I guess it can work, then. Wondered if a 'modular' system would work for huge tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store