Abandoned pup

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
On the island where I live, there are many feral dogs, most undernourished, living near the dump.
About a month ago, some friends found a new born pup near the beach, apparently abandoned by its very malnourished mother (they go to feed a number of feral dogs daily)
We ended up with the pup, barely 1 lb.
B74532A9-D621-4A17-83CF-B393E56CE6D3_1_201_a.jpeg
7C7544A5-364D-4DD2-84DF-8FAAB74FF9DA_1_201_a.jpeg
So far so good, its quite the contrast to our old dog, even after putting on a few lbs..
891ADE35-D81D-4A02-88D3-CD05E056574A_1_201_a.jpeg

tempImagegGYVwd.png

The mainland Vet made the trip over to do a number of island house calls the other day and stopped over to give the new girl her first shots.
She's now about 5 lbs.
tempImagejPwzeU.png

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
On the island where I live, there are many feral dogs, most undernourished, living near the dump.
About a month ago, some friends found a new born pup near the beach, apparently abandoned by its very malnourished mother (they go to feed a number of feral dogs daily)
We ended up with the pup, barely 1 lb.
View attachment 1455159
View attachment 1455160
So far so good, its quite the contrast to our old dog, even after putting on a few lbs..
View attachment 1455161

View attachment 1455163

The mainland Vet made the trip over to do a number of island house calls the other day and stopped over to give the new girl her first shots.
She's now about 5 lbs.
View attachment 1455162
Nice of you to adopt her Duane.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
She only spent about 2 weeks on the bottle (if that), quickly taking to softened puppy chow.
Amazing how fast learn.
This is how most people on the island get their pet dogs, they go to where the wild (feral) dogs are, and select one that appears trainable.
They are all very generic, fairly small, seldom looking ike any specific breed, almost always easy to count the ribs on.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Congrats on your new family member, and thank you for doing a fine thing. Rescue dogs sometimes seem to eventually understand that their lives of suffering are finally over, and it's a genuine joy to watch them come to that realization. I know that's anthropomorphism, but I'm talking to people who call fish their babies so I think I can get away with it. :)

For all those who think they should use the term "rescue" when they buy a betta from a tiny cup in a Petsmart or wherever, and thereby encourage the place to order even more victims to make more money...take a look at this thread. This is a rescue. :hearts::thumbsup::clap:headbang2:cheers:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Who cares If it has a billion different breeds in it, it is still a pup looking for a nice home. Thats so sweet of you, duanes. Love the sheepdog doo!

my dog is a mutt:

33% Australian Cattle Dog
32% Exotic American Bully (very rare breed)
20% Pit Bull Terrier

And he has German Shepard, Akita, Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Vizsla Hound in him. A rescue with America; Bully is super rare. Like finding someone with an aripaima rare! He stalks other dogs.

We used to have a pure bred Boston Terrier, but died at 17 with Brain Cancer :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store