About to give up. Are these spots anything?

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Ok so I had Ich and treated with salt and heat it went away after I stop treating my fish started to flash again but have no other signs of Disease so I have been treating with ICH X (Formaldehyde, Methanol, and Malachite Green.
For 12 days then 3 days off and now a week and the fish are still flashing. I have checked for stray voltage, i dont have any, my water parameter are good. Under 20ppm nitrate 0 for everything else. The harness is very low but my PH is 8.21 The only think I have noticed is black spots on some fish and don't know if I bought them with it or these spots are something bad. Fish with out the spots are flashing also not one fish is consistent doing it, it is off and on. all the fish look healthy and are eating. I am also seeing what I think is mating. 2 fish Swimming in circles and twitching looked just like the video online, and from what I read that would not happen if the water was bad. I have some cichlid salt coming to try and buffer the water the get the hardness up because i know that could be a reson too. There are more then one fish that have spot

20200606_214714.jpg

20200606_214703.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok so I had Ich and treated with salt and heat it went away after I stop treating my fish started to flash again but have no other signs of Disease so I have been treating with ICH X (Formaldehyde, Methanol, and Malachite Green.
For 12 days then 3 days off and now a week and the fish are still flashing. I have checked for stray voltage, i dont have any, my water parameter are good. Under 20ppm nitrate 0 for everything else. The harness is very low but my PH is 8.21 The only think I have noticed is black spots on some fish and don't know if I bought them with it or these spots are something bad. Fish with out the spots are flashing also not one fish is consistent doing it, it is off and on. all the fish look healthy and are eating. I am also seeing what I think is mating. 2 fish Swimming in circles and twitching looked just like the video online, and from what I read that would not happen if the water was bad. I have some cichlid salt coming to try and buffer the water the get the hardness up because i know that could be a reson too. There are more then one fish that have spot

View attachment 1420820

View attachment 1420821
The African Peacock looks fine to me. Also Cichlids may flash for territory. Is that a Dragon Blood in the pic?

Reactions: dr exum

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Ok and I am not sure I have over 70 fish hard to remember them all. U see the patch of black spot by the back

20200606_214714.jpg

20200606_214703.jpg

20200606_214653.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Ok thank you. I have a continuous drip water change system so the water is better when i am not treating with meds. Will stop the meds tomorrow

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Ok thank you. I have a continuous drip water change system so the water is better when i am not treating with meds. Will stop the meds tomorrow
Are you treating the incoming water in any way? You don't mention your water source so unsure if you need to treat for chlorine or chloramine.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Its more then one fish with black spots but they don't look raised. Thanks for the info, i just want to do what's best for them they are living creatures. I watch them more then I watch my TV lol. I was going to try and catch all the fish with back spots and put them in my QT it is only 5 or 6 out of 70 and I have not seen any new spots that I can tell. I take a picture every few days and it looks the same to me. But now I am just going to just let it play out and see what happens. It makes me feel better knowing that it could be normal. I watch them enough to see it them change.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Are you treating the incoming water in any way? You don't mention your water source so unsure if you need to treat for chlorine or chloramine.
Its a well with UV and carbon filter on it have another tank with just an Oscar and he is fine. I do have cichlid sand in the im the big tank with the problem fish. I do not treat the water in any way.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Its more then one fish with black spots but they don't look raised. Thanks for the info, i just want to do what's best for them they are living creatures. I watch them more then I watch my TV lol. I was going to try and catch all the fish with back spots and put them in my QT it is only 5 or 6 out of 70 and I have not seen any new spots that I can tell. I take a picture every few days and it looks the same to me. But now I am just going to just let it play out and see what happens. It makes me feel better knowing that it could be normal. I watch them enough to see it them change.
I am also doing huge water changes because of the meds 40-50% or 300 gallons and my incoming water is soft like crazy soft like when I tested it with the api kit it changed with the first drop so it was as low as the kit would read PH is 7.0 tank like i sead before is 8.21 don't know if this could be contributing to the flashing too. Even after i am done treating i use a drip system so i am always adding soft water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store