Accidently ordered some Haps for my Mumba/Peacock take. Will it be an issue?

ghurty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2019
I am currently putting to get a 150 gallon mainly peacock tank. Besides the peacocks I also have a few electric yellow mumbas. I have a delivery of fish coming and I realized that I accidentally ordered four Electric Blue Cichlids which are Haps. Will that be a big problem?

There are 7 electric yellow mumbas, and about 22 peacocks. All fish are on the smaller size.

Thank you

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I mixed haps and peacocks for years, sometimes with milder mbuna like L. caeruleus (yellow labs, electric yellow, etc.). If by electric blue cichlid you mean S. fryeri, I found them to be on the aggressive side, but okay for the most part. In a well stocked 150 I'd expect them to be fine. Of course, you can always get an over-aggressive individual when dealing with Malawi cichlids, including various peacock species. Being prepared to do some tinkering on occasion is just part of the deal ime. Electric blue fryeri look great with yellow labs.

Reactions: RD.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
You will be fine I mixed these fish back in the day with 0 problems until i got an auratus(at the time didnt know it was the most aggresive african cichlid) the fish got bigger and was very aggresive do not get an auratus and you will be fine. Ime there is no issue mixing haps and peacock also most mbuna.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My experience is similar to neutrinos. An aggressive S. fryeri male might be an issue with any blue male peacocks, but if he has his own harem of females it will probably be just fine. No guarantees with any of these African community mixes until everything starts to become sexually mature.

Reactions: AnthonyFish20
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store