Acclimating my new polypterus?

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
So tomorrow I'm receiving my first polypterus, looks to be a beautiful 9-11" ornate, It is being shipped to me and not bought from my LFS.
My question is, would I be ok doing a simple temp acclimate, or is it more incline and needs to be drip acclimated. If so. How long do you drip? And how much prime would you add to the open bag? Haven't done this before

Last edited:

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
I’ve had a couple overnighted polys and I just put them in a bucket and every 10 minutes I added a little more of the tank water for 2 hours then netted them into the tank. They’re not too temperamental unless shipping was rough on them. I added no prime to any of them either.

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
I’ve had a couple overnighted polys and I just put them in a bucket and every 10 minutes I added a little more of the tank water for 2 hours then netted them into the tank. They’re not too temperamental unless shipping was rough on them. I added no prime to any of them either.
How much water is a little? Like a cup or two?

Reactions: PolypterusGuy225

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
For polys I just temp acclimate and that’s all. But that works for me. Other fish, especially sensitive, should take ur time.
Keep in mind if u drip and temp acclimating the polys then it’s the right way to do it. No probs. I assume and take a bit more risk by doing it this way.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The only problem with a drip acclimation is the possibility of ammonia poisoning. You need something to detoxify or absorb the ammonia. As oxygen hits the water pH will increase causing the ammonia built up in the shipping water to become more toxic. Neutrilze the ammonia and you'll be fine to drip acclimate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store