Acrylic monster tanks?

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
Not sure if this is the right section. I need some recommendations for a reputable and reasonably priced place to purchase monster tanks. I'm in so cal but I am also considering ordering online. I know there are some companies in the east coast who also have low cost shipping. What companies have you guys used for your monster acrylic tanks?

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Not sure if this is the right section. I need some recommendations for a reputable and reasonably priced place to purchase monster tanks. I'm in so cal but I am also considering ordering online. I know there are some companies in the east coast who also have low cost shipping. What companies have you guys used for your monster acrylic tanks?
Once you go monster brand new, it isn't really reasonably priced

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
If you're in SoCal that's the place to be, the best deals are there. The market is flooded with used gear, the hobby is perhaps its strongest there. If cost is a concern just buy local and used. I see 300+ gallon tanks for sale in Cali for half the price they cost elsewhere in the country. I can't tell you how many times I've read the comment "All of the good deals are in Socal"

Look in the classifieds here on Monsterfishkeepers. Also make a Want to buy thread in the Marketplace. Look on your local craigslist and it will only be a matter of time before you find what you are looking for.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
"reasonably priced monster acrylic tanks" is an oxymoron to most of us. What is your definition of "monster"? Are you referring to tanks of a thousand gallons or more? ATM has already been mentioned. Midwest Custom Aquariums fabricates high quality tanks and can even build a tank on site for you. I have never read a single complaint against Midwest Custom Aquariums. I have a small 300 gallon tank from Midwest. Chris, the owner is a great guy and he is very helpful. Fishtanksdirect can get you a custom tank. Several of us have tanks from FTD. If you get price quotes from the different manufacturers, FTD will probably have slightly lower pricing, i.e., a tank quoted at $30,000 from another place might be around $27,000 at FTD. Their custom tanks are built by Sun Coast, who builds exclusively for FTD. They also offer discounted freight.

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
Thank you for the input all, and especially pacu mom for the details. I'm definitely gonna check each of those places out. In the past, I had contacted a custom tank place online, somewhere in the east coast, and the cost was 1/2 the price of my LFS. I forgot which place that was.

I'm thinking to go 10 or 12 long. The height and width should be big enough to accommodate me to go inside for maintenance (like to sometimes dig up plants and move rocks, driftwood, hiding tunnels, etc). Otherwise, I need to figure out a height and width which would allow my extended arm and extension tool to reach to the bottom, without going inside the tank. I have pretty long arms, but do you think with a long gripper, etc and a step ladder I can reach to the gravel on a 36" high tank? 42" high? or should I keep it bare bones to avoid the problem of reaching the bottom?

I'm also thinking that if I keep the back away from the wall in order to allow a walkway behind the tank, I can more easily access a wider tank from also the back, without going inside it, for maintenance from the back. I'm also thinking of having a short or low stand to make things easier. These are some things I need to figure out before i order tanks. How do you guys address these challenges? Thanks

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Thank you for the input all, and especially pacu mom for the details. I'm definitely gonna check each of those places out. In the past, I had contacted a custom tank place online, somewhere in the east coast, and the cost was 1/2 the price of my LFS. I forgot which place that was.

I'm thinking to go 10 or 12 long. The height and width should be big enough to accommodate me to go inside for maintenance (like to sometimes dig up plants and move rocks, driftwood, hiding tunnels, etc). Otherwise, I need to figure out a height and width which would allow my extended arm and extension tool to reach to the bottom, without going inside the tank. I have pretty long arms, but do you think with a long gripper, etc and a step ladder I can reach to the gravel on a 36" high tank? 42" high? or should I keep it bare bones to avoid the problem of reaching the bottom?

I'm also thinking that if I keep the back away from the wall in order to allow a walkway behind the tank, I can more easily access a wider tank from also the back, without going inside it, for maintenance from the back. I'm also thinking of having a short or low stand to make things easier. These are some things I need to figure out before i order tanks. How do you guys address these challenges? Thanks
It would be great if you can access the tank from behind. We built a platform behind our tank to access our tank. The floor of the platform are hinged lids that open up so we will be able to access the sump underneath.
platform.jpg

An undecorated, bare floor tank is always easiest to maintain. We will be going with a painted bare floor. By standing on the platform, I can reach all areas of the tank with this car wash brush.
brush.jpg

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
It would be great if you can access the tank from behind. We built a platform behind our tank to access our tank. The floor of the platform are hinged lids that open up so we will be able to access the sump underneath.
View attachment 1266494

An undecorated, bare floor tank is always easiest to maintain. We will be going with a painted bare floor. By standing on the platform, I can reach all areas of the tank with this car wash brush.
View attachment 1266495
Very nice tank. It's 14' x 4' x 4'?

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
close. it's 15' x 4' x 4'
Holy smokes, are you just gonna have you pacu in it, or any other fish?

Also to OP. Check around craigslist. Some tanks are worth driving for. In Florida there was a 900 gallon tank, stand and canopy for 10,000 with 2" acrylic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store