acrylic overflow leaking.

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
hey picked up a tank recently thats acrylic with built in center overflow. noticed today when power went out that my sump level went past what i normally have it at. after i looked everythingover. inoticed a small leak on the seam where the overflow meets the back wall. its also at the very bottom. since then i drained the tank andnot its drying. its barely noticable but i wouldrather be on the safe side than tobe waking up with a pool in my room. i have a tubeof weldon 16 left from a past project. now for me its really a toss up of fixingthe overflow withweldon on the outaide of the box. or seal it all up and run external canister and a hob. im worried the seam would randomly give and flooding the house.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ideally, Id go the weldon route for the reason to use the internal overflow. Im surprised since once the acrylic basically chemically bonds it should hold well.

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
yeah me too. i was filling doing a test run when i noticed it. but at the same time the overflow was empty and the leak was very minimal. i assume since it was empty. the pressure was against it more than ussual

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I recommend Weld-on #40 over #16. #40 will give you some structural support and fill the gap. #16 is a cheap craft solvent with some acrylic monomers. It's rarely used in the aquarium hobby anymore.

Can you post pictures? Sounds like it may need to be reinforced everywhere. Acrylics don't that often have small leaks, they usually hold fine then fail catastrophically when they finally go. I would really like to see the seams no just the one in question.

If you get some #40 this shouldn't be hard to do. #16 could seal the leak but won't prevent a future blowout as it won't add support like #40 can when used properly.

Let us see

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
ill see what i can snap pics of tonight. being on a time frame i ended up bonding it this morning so i had 24 hrs for it to seal as my fish are randomly in crammed tanks until its up n running

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store