Acrylic Sump Build

jamesucla

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
LA
Building a sump out of 1/2" acrylic for my 300 gal aquarium. It is going in the stand built here:
300 gallon stand build

Sump dimensions will end up being 90" long x 16" wide x 13" tall (approx 80 gallon).

I got an old POS tank as well as a sheet of 1/2" acrylic off craigslist,that I used to cut the panels to size. Then I glued together with weld-on. Acrylic and that glue is some really nasty stuff. Cutting it smells terrible & the glue is really noxious stuff. My edges were not perfect so there were lots of bubbles in the seams. I am going to have to come back with some Weld-on 40 epoxy in the inside corners to make sure i have no leaks. Progress pics thus far:

IMG_20200613_201008.jpg

IMG_20200615_102848.jpg

IMG_20200615_102626.jpg

Attachments

jamesucla

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
LA
Done with the sump, on to the plumbing. Updating all the pics here for posterity. Thanks to those who helped with input on my questions in the filtration thread here: Sump Design Check. The main goal for the sump was to be completely silent & excellent flow. All the crossings between sections happen under the baffels so there is no "trickeling" sounds.

All the sections (mechanical, bio) are supported by egg crates with flow coming down through the entire cross-sectional area of the section, reducing the flow velocity through each section, which allows for more effective trapping of particles (probably). In theory it should work great, if not i will adjust. Note there will be more filter pads installed in the mechanical section when it is in commission, they hadn't arrived yet.

After all baffels are epoxied in, leak test & rinse:
IMG_20200628_132438.jpg

Flow test nearly silent with (2) Jaboa 18000 pumps at 60%. Think I have enough bio?
IMG_20200627_153046.jpg
Looks like I measured right, it fits in the stand I built.
IMG_20200628_132932.jpg
Diagram of how this flows:
IMG_20200625_102200~2.jpg

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Looks good. Glad your measurements were correct.
What kind of flow/GPH do you think you are getting from those pumps?
I know the manufacturer rating is always high or rated at 0 head pressure.
I really like the adjustable flow rate on these pumps.

jamesucla

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
LA
Looks good. Glad your measurements were correct.
What kind of flow/GPH do you think you are getting from those pumps?
I know the manufacturer rating is always high or rated at 0 head pressure.
I really like the adjustable flow rate on these pumps.
I am pretty impressed with the pumps on first glance. I really have no idea on flow rate at this point but I can tell you that they are very powerful & dead silent. I could measure the flow rate when the whole setup is complete but that will take some time. They do supply a gph vs head pressure graph that could be used to estimate.

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
What are you using for bio media? I assume it's not Bio Home Ultimate unless you hit the lottery, lol!!!! Just curious what the stocking of this tank is going to be to possibly require that much media? There will only be so much Bacteria allowed to survive derived by the waste load in the tank. I see a lot of people thinking that more media means more bacteria and that is true to a point. The biggest factor in the amount of bacteria is the bio load in the tank, It's always better to have more than enough bacteria, but this looks like enough media for 1,000 large goldfish being fed 6 times a day, lol!!! I assume heaters will be included near the return pumps laying horizontal, but what size and how many are you planning on? Thanks for the pics, well done.
NCH

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
Building a sump out of 1/2" acrylic for my 300 gal aquarium. It is going in the stand built here:
300 gallon stand build

Sump dimensions will end up being 90" long x 16" wide x 13" tall (approx 80 gallon).

I got an old POS tank as well as a sheet of 1/2" acrylic off craigslist,that I used to cut the panels to size. Then I glued together with weld-on. Acrylic and that glue is some really nasty stuff. Cutting it smells terrible & the glue is really noxious stuff. My edges were not perfect so there were lots of bubbles in the seams. I am going to have to come back with some Weld-on 40 epoxy in the inside corners to make sure i have no leaks. Progress pics thus far:

View attachment 1421905

View attachment 1421906

View attachment 1421907
Nice!. Is weld on glue safe for aquarium? I heard mix reviews about the product

ryanmfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2020
This is a very good guide and clean build - how long did it take you from start to finish out of curiosity?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store