Acrylic Tank Seam Reinforcement

JA-MD

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2020
Thank you so much. We are going to build it into a wall. My primary concern is that we will be moving it from Salt Lake to Portland. Between all the jostling and stress of removing it from a wall and hauling it across multiple states I just want to make sure it is in tip top shape before re-installing it. Since I am going to be cleaning it up and buffing out scratches etc I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the seams are really secure as well. That's a lot of water if it fails. I have included a photo of the tank as it currently is. It will be a planted freshwater aquarium

fish tank.jpg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Thank you so much. We are going to build it into a wall. My primary concern is that we will be moving it from Salt Lake to Portland. Between all the jostling and stress of removing it from a wall and hauling it across multiple states I just want to make sure it is in tip top shape before re-installing it. Since I am going to be cleaning it up and buffing out scratches etc I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the seams are really secure as well. That's a lot of water if it fails. I have included a photo of the tank as it currently is. It will be a planted freshwater aquarium

View attachment 1408735
what are the dimensions of the tank?

JA-MD

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2020
It is approxamatly 9' on the long side of the L, 6' on the short side, 28" tall and 20" deep

JA-MD

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2020
So, honestly what do you think? I haven't quite pulled the trigger on purchasing it. All told it will be about $1600 to get it in my front door. Then there is still the costs associated with installing it and setting it up. Its a heck of a deal but still a lot of money down the drain if something goes wrong.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Are you moving it yourself? Heading over to SaltLake yourself with a U-Haul?

Or are you entrusting someone else to move it for you?

I would consider making a very simple pallet fitted to the tank to support everything and keep it safe during the move. Just a simple L shaped pallet with a couple sheets of plywood and some 2x4's around the edges to strap the tank to and support it while it is being moved.

Without a custom pallet to strap it to I think you would be fine moving it yourself with 3 or 4 people to pick it up and carry it together. If you don't use a custom pallet I would put a couple of sheets on ridged foam insulation on the bottom of the uhaul to support the tank then use a couple ratchet straps to secure the tank and keep it from moving during the trip.

If another party is going to move the tank you are really at their mercy if they exercise the proper care during the move or if they just rough house the tank and let it twist and tweak.

Very cool tank! and welcome aboard!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store