acrylic

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
I am planning a monster acrylic tank and was wondering if anyone had built one and has some tips.. I read on some guys website that you must use "cell cast" acrylic and he could not emphasize that enough. Do anyone of you believe that to be true. This guys site plans were pretty thorough and he seemed to know his ish.

sephir420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
cell cast. verry verry important. have helped build 2 acrylic tanks. the reason you use cell cast is that its not as soft so it wont bow as much. if you dident use cell cast the tank would split open like a ripe mellon :22_yikes: . as far as weld gose some say get the liquid and use a seringe to inject it into the joint. personaly i like the 2 part paste because you can just paint it onto the joint and clamp the pieces together. i prefer using acrylic over glass. shure acrylic scraches easaly but glass dose to but the scratches wont buff out of glass. :thumbsup: .

what dimensions are you looking planing??

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
first off thanks for clearing that up for me.. i will def use cell cast... according to the dudes site.. most common piece size is 8' x 4' sheets so in my mock drawings i came up with a 8' x 2' (high) and somewhere between 3-4 feet wide... its between 420-500 gallons i believe maybe more if i did 4 feet wide.. im at work i hvae the sketches and gallons at home.. a wise friend on the board told me to do a small tank first though for practice. So im my first attempt will probably be a 20 gallon then I'll do a 100 before i attempt the monster.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
unknownuza13 said:
first off thanks for clearing that up for me.. i will def use cell cast... according to the dudes site.. most common piece size is 8' x 4' sheets so in my mock drawings i came up with a 8' x 2' (high) and somewhere between 3-4 feet wide... its between 420-500 gallons i believe maybe more if i did 4 feet wide.. im at work i hvae the sketches and gallons at home.. a wise friend on the board told me to do a small tank first though for practice. So im my first attempt will probably be a 20 gallon then I'll do a 100 before i attempt the monster.
smart :thumbsup:
im gunna do a small plywood tank soon

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
unknownuza13 said:
Im having a hard time finding an acrylic dealer.. Anyone have any help
These guys sell what ever you need. I tried them all but shipping to alaska was the problem. This company kept coming up as the best. I'm still working up details and pricing on a 144" x 48" x 2" thick for my tank. Good luck, I have never worked with Acrylic before but from some of my friends who have the seems are the trick. My tank will be made from a steel frame, plywood shell and a fiberglass inner liner. I will use the acrylic as a large window. Good luck post some pics of the process many here including myself would like to pic up some tips.

Chris Trevathan [ctrevathan@reynoldspolymer.com]

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Thanks guesswho I'll contact these people today and hopefully get some good info in a response. I am definately no craftsman or handyman so I'll be looking for help. Good luck on your endeavor as well..

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
unknownuza13 said:
Im having a hard time finding an acrylic dealer.. Anyone have any help

Neo should have some local acrylic dealer source for you... let me know when you start it ....

Tim

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
a already ask neo 100 questions a day I figured I'd try to use the board for once.. I'll let you know when I begin the monster. I probably won't be buying a house till next Feb or March so it will not begin until then but I will probably build the smaller ones much sooner.. Like as soon as I can get some acrylic...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store