Adding Ctenopomas to Existing Group

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Hey all, I am new here looking for some advice from experienced fish keepers.

I have 2 full grown ctenopoma in a 120g tank and a great lfs has gotten 3 in on a trade a couple months ago that they said I could have for $5 each. I cannot find anyone adding to existing for advice on experience of how they will accept new tank mates. The three at the lfs are currently together and of course came in together so they are bonded. They are a little bit smaller than mine so are probably not fully grown yet.

Anyone have any experience with putting groups together as adults? Is my tank large enough to house 5 of these guys? I can add a picture of the tank once I figure how to do that on this forum.

I am working on stocking this tank as an African setup.

Current stock:
2 ctenopoma - full grown
2 bn plecos
3 bengal loaches (until aged out - 6-7 years old)

In quarantine to add:
2 rope fish
3 african butterfly fish
12 congo tetras (some will need time for growout to be big enough to not be snacks)

Future plans:
2 more rope fish
MAYBE 2 more butterfly fish
MAYBE a few more congo tetras

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be ok. Will go at each other a bit but will settle down. My group has a dominant fish but don’t behave like cichlids thankfully.

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Thank you for the quick response. I also need to consider the rope fish being out competed for food. It would be cool to have a group of ctenopomas though. They are one of my all time favorite fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you for the quick response. I also need to consider the rope fish being out competed for food. It would be cool to have a group of ctenopomas though. They are one of my all time favorite fish.

Welcome aboard

Reactions: tfreema
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store